"Berastagi - a bit of everything!" Top 5 Page for this destination Berastagi by Daihappydai

Berastagi Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 204 photos

The People

I'd heard mixed reports about Berastagi - some travellers had really enjoyed being there, others said not to stay more than a day. Climb the volcano and then leave! So I wasn't sure what to expect and my rough plans had been to stay for four nights.
Perhaps I was fortunate because I had always intended to stay at Wisma Sibayak and the staff there were extraordinarily friendly, helpful, and had many suggestions and advice about things to do and places to see.
Wandering along Jalan Veteran, the main street, is like any small commercial centre - the people appear busy and seem to be rushing from place to place. The traffic is loud and chaotic. But there are also many who take the time to have a chat - especially in the market, the coffee shops, and the food stalls next to the fruit market.
Outside the centre of Berastagi the pace is a little slower and it is easy to just sit and chat to one of the locals. This is the part of Berastagi I really enjoyed.

The Places

I had three full days in Berastagi and I could certainly go back for a couple more. There is so much to see in the area. Climbing Gunung Sibayak or Gunung Sinabung is probably the main reason tourists visit the area, and from my point of view, well worth it.
But other 'must sees' include: villages with traditional longhouses and Karo architecture such as Desa Lingga and Desa Dokan, Taman Lumbini with its spectacular Buddhist temple, the views from Gundaling Hill both by day and as the sun is setting, the architecture of St. Francis Xavier church, and the color and hustle and bustle of the central market.
There are also several waterfalls in the surrounding area, not to mention the refreshing hot springs.
So there is a lot more to Berastagi than just climbing a volcano....

The Produce

Fertile land means there is a huge variety of produce grown in the Berastagi region. Fields and fields of vegetables - corn, carrots, parsnips, chillis, cauliflowers, 'pick your own' strawberries and more - line the roads.
There is also a magnificent array of flowers that can be seen at the central market or pot plants for sale beside the fruit market.
And what this means too, is that you are in for some delicious meals and fresh juices.

• Pros:So many things to do and see
  • Cons:Nothing bad, but remember a jacket, it can get cold
  • In a nutshell:A great opportunity to see Karo architecture
  • Last visit to Berastagi: Jan 2012
  • Intro Written Feb 18, 2012

• tenluk's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2014 at 1:57 AM

Hello, I read that you take motorbike taxi to Berastagi, wow how do you take it and how about the price?

• Daihappydai's Profile Photo
      Apr 8, 2014 at 3:26 AM

The motorbike taxis are little like 'tuk tuk' in Cambodia. Usually they do not travel that far out of Medan. I was lucky. The day I was leaving Berastagi a motor bike taxi had brought a tourist up from Medan. I decided I would do the return trip with him. I paid 70,000, after some negotiating - more than the public bus, but a lot of fun. The great thing was we were able to stop for coffee at a lookout point on a hill about 25km before Medan - I wouldn't have had that opportunity if I was on a public bus.

• tenluk's Profile Photo
      Apr 8, 2014 at 3:50 AM

you are so lucky

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Glad to know Wisma Sibayak is still operating as i had stayed there in '92 and '93 each time for a few days--great Indonesian tips by the way

• Daihappydai's Profile Photo
      Feb 14, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. I love Indonesia - there are so many different places to see and peoples to meet. I recently spent three weeks in Sumbawa - apart from the surf resorts in the south east and west, there were virtually no tourists, which was great. Hopefully I'll have the time to upload some photos of Sumbawa soon.
      Cheers, Dai

Badges & Stats in Berastagi

Have you been to Berastagi?