"Berastagi - a bit of everything!" Top 5 Page for this destination Berastagi by Daihappydai
Berastagi Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 204 photos
I'd heard mixed reports about Berastagi - some travellers had really enjoyed being there, others said not to stay more than a day. Climb the volcano and then leave! So I wasn't sure what to expect and my rough plans had been to stay for four nights.
Perhaps I was fortunate because I had always intended to stay at Wisma Sibayak and the staff there were extraordinarily friendly, helpful, and had many suggestions and advice about things to do and places to see.
Wandering along Jalan Veteran, the main street, is like any small commercial centre - the people appear busy and seem to be rushing from place to place. The traffic is loud and chaotic. But there are also many who take the time to have a chat - especially in the market, the coffee shops, and the food stalls next to the fruit market.
Outside the centre of Berastagi the pace is a little slower and it is easy to just sit and chat to one of the locals. This is the part of Berastagi I really enjoyed.
I had three full days in Berastagi and I could certainly go back for a couple more. There is so much to see in the area. Climbing Gunung Sibayak or Gunung Sinabung is probably the main reason tourists visit the area, and from my point of view, well worth it.
But other 'must sees' include: villages with traditional longhouses and Karo architecture such as Desa Lingga and Desa Dokan, Taman Lumbini with its spectacular Buddhist temple, the views from Gundaling Hill both by day and as the sun is setting, the architecture of St. Francis Xavier church, and the color and hustle and bustle of the central market.
There are also several waterfalls in the surrounding area, not to mention the refreshing hot springs.
So there is a lot more to Berastagi than just climbing a volcano....
Fertile land means there is a huge variety of produce grown in the Berastagi region. Fields and fields of vegetables - corn, carrots, parsnips, chillis, cauliflowers, 'pick your own' strawberries and more - line the roads.
There is also a magnificent array of flowers that can be seen at the central market or pot plants for sale beside the fruit market.
And what this means too, is that you are in for some delicious meals and fresh juices.
- Pros:So many things to do and see
- Cons:Nothing bad, but remember a jacket, it can get cold
- In a nutshell:A great opportunity to see Karo architecture
As I mentioned in my introductory page, I wasn't sure how long I would stay in Berastagi as I had heard mixed reports.... more travel advice
In the village of Desa Lingga, there are a number of traditional longhouses, but there are also traditional buildings... more travel advice
Daihappydai's Related Pages
Berastagi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Berastagi: Volcanoes and Batak Karo culture"
- "Mt. Sibayak, Vulcano and tribal villages"
- "Berastagi - a bit of everything!"
- "Sharrie's Berastagi Rest & Relax"
- "berAStaGi: a HighLAnd outside Medan"
- "Home of the Berastagi-fruit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berastagi
- Hotels in Berastagi
- Transportation in Berastagi
- Nightlife in Berastagi
- Shopping in Berastagi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berastagi
- 26 Reviews
- 111 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Berastagi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berastagi
- Posted in Travel Jakarta Forum "Re: current airport tax ?"
- Commented on one of Daihappydai's Berastagi travel pages
- Wrote a Review In and around the main street, Jalan Veteran in Berastagi Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "In and around the main street, Jalan Veteran"
- created a Berastagi Travel Page "Berastagi - a bit of everything!"
Photos in BerastagiSee All Photos (111)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 46 reviews, 215 photos
- Sumbawa Besar Intro, 30 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berastagi Intro, 26 reviews, 111 photos
- Ketambe Intro, 22 reviews, 108 photos
- Rantepao Intro, 20 reviews, 93 photos
- Rumah Mulu Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos
- Pulau Pangkor Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 24 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banda Aceh Intro, 21 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miri Intro, 23 reviews, 76 photos