Pulau Saparua Things to Do Tips by Daihappydai
Pulau Saparua Things to Do: 16 reviews and 42 photos
Corals off Itawaka, Pulau Saparua
A pleasant 25 minute ojek ride from Kota Saparua through some delightful scenery and villages to the north-east village of Itawaka with a beautiful tree lined street waiting and a short walk to a tiny beach from which snorkelling is possible. To get to the drop off, booties are recommended especially if visibility is not at its best. But if the water is not too choppy, there is a great drop off with some decent coral and a range of fish. Locals suggest morning is the best time. There is a great view of Pulau Seram. And after snorkelling, a little wander along the street where locals set up little stalls outside their homes to sell fresh vegetables.
Address: Itawaka, North-east Pulau Saparua
Spotted orange box fish-snorkelling off Nusa Laut
If you haven't got time to stay there, make sure you take a day trip to snorkel off Pulau Nusa Laut. Boats with driver can be hired for 400,000 rupiah for the day which is reasonable if you can share costs with some other travellers. A morning start may mean you will be lucky enough to see some large pods of dolphins as you approach the islands. The water is amazingly clear, coral is in fairly good condition, and there are some decent drop offs. There is a wide range of fish and plant life to be seen.
Address: Pulau Nusa Laut
Ibu showing us pottery making the traditional way
When on Pulau Saparua take a trip to Ouw and see pottery made by hand, the traditional way, without any mechanical devices. A friend and I were lucky enough to meet a teacher who was born in Ouw, and for a small fee, he took us to Ouw where a charming elderly woman showed us how pottery was made and gave us an opportunity to try it ourselves. She then showed us how she built a small fire using the bark from sago trees to 'fire' the pottery after it had been dried in the sun, and how it was glazed with damar. It was fascinating watching the process from start to finish. Our good fortune didn't stop there. Just as we were about to leave, a traditional marriage ceremony took place and we were able to witness the groom go through his vows to the heads of the village.
Address: Desa Ouw, South-east Pulau Saparua
More Reviews (3)
Daihappydai's Related Pages
Pulau Saparua Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pulau Saparua, pulau Lease"
- "Friendly, relaxing, Saparua"
- "Saparua: The Centre of the Lease Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Saparua
- Hotels in Pulau Saparua
- Transportation in Pulau Saparua
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Saparua
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Saparua
- 6 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Pulau Saparua?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Saparua
Photos in Pulau SaparuaSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 41 reviews, 190 photos
- Sumbawa Besar Intro, 30 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berastagi Intro, 26 reviews, 111 photos
- Ketambe Intro, 22 reviews, 108 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rantepao Intro, 20 reviews, 93 photos
- Rumah Mulu Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos
- Pulau Pangkor Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 24 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banda Aceh Intro, 21 reviews, 83 photos
- Miri Intro, 23 reviews, 76 photos