"Friendly, relaxing, Saparua" Pulau Saparua by Daihappydai

Pulau Saparua Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 131 photos

Friendly people

I only had a short time on Pulau Saparua and I'm definitely hoping to go back. The people were very friendly and very helpful - keen to improve their English skills while willing to help me with my Indonesian. The island still has many 'pohon cengkeh' - clove trees - so there is always a wonderful smell in the air as the cloves are dried on the side of the road. The picture here shows a group of children seperating the clove from the stalk ready for drying. I sat down with the group and they explained the process - chatting in a mix of English and Indonesian.

Tradition and nature within walking distance

There is much to see and do within walking distance if you are staying in Kota Saparua. You can go to the market any day of the week, walk through the sidestreets and see a traditional baileu, stroll down beaches and find fossilised coral or even broken bits of old china, take a walk through Beenteng Duurstede, stop in at a traditional rumah makan and taste local cakes, and much more. This picture is of a baileu in Kota Saparua - still has the traditional thatched roof although the foundations have been reinforced with concrete.

Snorkelling and Diving

There are several good locations to snorkel and dive around Pulau Saparua - I only had three opportunites due to my short stay, but it is one of the reasons I hope to come back to the island. The water is amazingly clear - especially in the mornings before any wind turns the water a little choppy. There is a good drop off near Itawaka in the northeast - I got an ojek driver to take me there and back and it only cost 30,000 rupiah and a few cigarettes. The picture to the left is of some of the coral in the waters near Itawaka. But, as I said in one of my tips, don't miss the chance to snorkel off Pulau Nusa Laut either.

• Pros:Friendly people, great swimming and snorkelling, good walks
  • Cons:Can't think of any
  • In a nutshell:If you're in Ambon, don't miss the opportunity
  • Last visit to Pulau Saparua: Jan 2011
  • Intro Updated Feb 18, 2011

Badges & Stats in Pulau Saparua

Have you been to Pulau Saparua?