"London" London by penny_g
London Travel Guide: 25,400 reviews and 57,324 photos
A lot of clichees and superlatives have been told about the UK's capital but please do not expect this from me. Not that I don't like London but it is simply not in the Premier Ligue of my favourite destinations and this is NOT due to the weather.
I just owe a page, dedicated to the city because there are VTers, who are really interested in my interpretation and London through my eyes.
Not to disappoint the ones who adore it, I will start with what I liked:
- It is really universal. These people here succeeded to make English the world's language. And you know that language and culture always go hand in hand, this explains why British culture is so popular and spread everywhere in the world, even if people do not know that something is originally from Britain.
- It is multicultural with a huge Hindi and East European community. But there is anyway no unrepresented ethnic or national community in the British capital.
- UK people appreciate and keep their traditions and always try to be different from the rest. It is still unperceivable for me how drivers have to sit on the right side of the car and while crossing the street, how come you should first look to the right.
- Irrespective of cold or amiable people, people from the UK are very POLITE. They always have the right words and always know how to behave.
Well, there are also some cude exceptions like that lady in her early 40's, who was at the reception of Victoria and whom I asked about buses to Heathrow.. Then she told me "Buses do not depart from here, DARLING" - it was so cude.
- Yesterday, I watched a TV show in BG and a popular Bulgarian opera singer, a keen traveller, was very excited about London. Regarding UK people's mentality, he mentioned that last thing you should require from them is that they become your friends. Ask them be your professional partner and they will do their best but no friends pls.
I can say that they're contrary to the Spanish people in this case. In Spain after a first coffee together you can call someone "amigo".
I really don't like that London is industrial and that much stress. A city of careerists and workoholics. London's highlife has always tried to dictate fashion and someone outside their stereotypes is ridiculous.
I really don't understand why this anti-Eastern-European campain is already several years. In media and among people they blame Polish for everything. As a Bulgarian, I really can't complain because Bulgaria is an exotic place for them and many come either for skiing or for summer holidays or even settle down in our country. Moreover, Berbatov is living there now.
London is huge in terms of potential things to do. First of all, I want to mention that I feel London as my home-town,... more travel advice
penny_g's Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- "London, the capital of England"
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Badges & Stats in London
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
Photos in LondonSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Athens Intro, 44 reviews, 105 photos
- Milan Intro, 53 reviews, 69 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos
- Oslo Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Budapest Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos
- Malmö Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos
- Brno Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Turku Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Italy Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos