"Turku" Turku by penny_g
Turku Travel Guide: 492 reviews and 1,046 photos
Archipelago landscapes, modern city life and the peacefullness of the countryside - all this is Turku. Situated in south-west Finland and surrounded by a multitude of islands, Turku is today the second biggest city of Finland with almost 175 000 people. Once it was the capital of Finland but during the Russian rule, the Russian tzar decided to move the capital to Helsinki because Turku is situated too close to Sweden.
The Aura River (Finnish Aurajoki; Swedish Aura å) is a river in south-western Finland. Its sources are in the town of Oripää, and it flows through Pöytyä, Aura and Lieto before discharging into the Archipelago Sea in the middle of the city of Turku. The length of the river is around 70 kilometres, and it contains 11 rapids, the biggest of which is Nautelankoski at Lieto. The tap water for Turku is drawn from the Aura river, the city waterworks being situated by the Halinen rapids.
The banks of the river have been inhabited on locations at least 6000 years ago. It is notable for the cultural heritage in Finland. The archdiocese of Finland has been situated near the river since the thirteenth century.
- Pros:Modern but old, green, surrounded by archipelago, clean, intercultural
- In a nutshell:Archipelago landscapes, modern city life and the peacefullness of the countryside - all this is Turku.
Tuomiokirko Museum in the south gallery takes the visitor back in time to the 14th century. The exhibits cast light on... more travel advice
Turun Tuomiokirko (Turku's cathedral) is a church of a national significance. It is being considered one of the records... more travel advice
penny_g's Related Pages
Turku Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bits and pieces of Turku"
- "Turku - City of lost memories and lost money"
- "old capital of Finland"
- "My Home Town"
- "Turku - The first Finnish capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Turku
- Hotels in Turku
- Transportation in Turku
- Nightlife in Turku
- Restaurants in Turku
- Shopping in Turku
- Warnings and Dangers in Turku
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Turku
- 8 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Turku?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Turku
Photos in TurkuSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Athens Intro, 44 reviews, 105 photos
- Milan Intro, 53 reviews, 69 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos
- Oslo Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Budapest Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos
- Malmö Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos
- Brno Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Turku Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Italy Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos