"Lamphun famous for Longan & Beautiful Ladies" Lamphun by limkahwan
Lamphun Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 129 photos
History of Lamphun, formerly Haripunchai is the oldest city in the Northern Thailand dating back 1,300 years, during the ninth century a group of ex-Buddhist monk from Lopburi founded the state of Haripunchai and the first ruler is Queen Chamadevi, the daughter of Lopburi ruler. In the late 13th century, King Mengrai siege Lamphun which resulted for its downfall and subsequent intergration into Lanna Kingdom. When the Burmese influence in Siam during 16th century Lamphun came under Burmese rule for two centuries.Later in the 19th century, Thonburi & Bangkok liberated Lamphun and became a province of Siam.
.The Suwana Chedi is said to have been founded by Queen Chamathevi, though it is known to have been extensively restored in the early 13th century by the Haripunchai king Savvadhisiddhi. Legend says that the queen's ashes are enshrined within.
This stepped square Chedi, of laterite covered with stucco, has a three tier base.
Many of the figures are in good condition, showing the typical Mon features of broad face and curved, connected eyebrows, and thin transparent robe. All undamaged statues feature the abhaya mudra (right hand raised, dispelling fear) and enough of the decorative stucco surround remains to show the high quality of the original work.
The most Famous & Beautiful Queen of Lamphun. One of the most respected Lady Queen in Lamphun. At this memorial site you can also witness Ku Chang & Ku Ma Stupas and also the fort of Lamphun at this site.
- Pros:It's peaceful & quite Town full of history
- Cons:Other than the history and Longan there not much others activities
- In a nutshell:For those who love history and wats, this is the place
During the journey to Lamphun using Route 106 you will come across rows upon rows of trees "Majestic Alatus". The scene... more travel advice
limkahwan's Related Pages
Lamphun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lamphun ancient city"
- "Lamphun famous for Longan & Beautiful Ladies"
- "Lamphun – Wat Phra That Haripunchai"
- "Lamphun province and town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lamphun
- Hotels in Lamphun
- Transportation in Lamphun
- Restaurants in Lamphun
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lamphun
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Lamphun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lamphun
Photos in LamphunSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Penang Intro, 33 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Kelantan Intro, 13 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Thailand Intro, 11 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 11 reviews, 58 photos
- Taipei Intro, 4 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- T'ai-chung Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Taiwan Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos
- Kaohsiung Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Negeri Terengganu Intro, 3 reviews, 18 photos
- T'ai-nan Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 1 travelogue