"Sam it out" limkahwan's Profile
What to tell other than home country, that's "PENANG" MALAYSIA. Any enquires for my little knowledge on my home country? .."Welcome with open arms". Penang is also known as the "Pearl of the Orient", it is just a small island with plenty of cheap and delicious foods, safe to roam around, locals are well known as hospitality lot, beautiful beaches with diverse cultures. Penang was just crown as one of the world's heritage city on July 7th, 2008.
Before 1786, it is just a small jungle island. Then the famous traveller of East India Company, English Captain Francis Light stepped foot on the island and declared that this is the best place for their half way house (port) for the far east mission. After getting permission from the Sultan of Kedah for the sovereign of the island, this famous Captain had an idea of getting the island populated. He commanded his men to fire gold coin into the jungle, and declared that whoever got the gold coin and clear the land, fence it up and that land will belong to them. Gradually the island flourished and he named the island after the Prince and called it "PRINCE OF WALES ISLE". After years of toll, the jungle finally became a small town and our Captain named the town after KING GEORGE and thus called "GEORGETOWN" . During that era not many people can speak English and it is difficult for the locals to call the island PRINCE OF WALES ISLE and knowing that the Island is full of BETEL NUT, the local Malays called it "PINANG" (Malay name for BETEL NUT) trees, so our Captain changed the name to "PENANG ISLAND".
At the entrance, a statue of Captain Francis Light beckons visitors to the late 18th century star-shaped Fort, structured with cell rooms, flagstaff, harbour light and several cannons which are the biggest well preserved fort in the country.
Locals believed that one of the cannons possessed magical powers. Women place flowers on the barrel in the hope of improving their fertility.
It is at this historical site that Light landed on Aug 11, 1786. Built by the good Captain to protect British royal artillery troops from possible French, Burmese, Siamese attacks, the fort was christened “Cornwallis” after the late 18th century Governor-General of Bengal, India, Charles Marquis Cornwallis. Originally built with a Nibong (palm trunk) stockade, the fort was completed in 1810. The fort later became the administrative base for British troops in Penang.
Although the 9m moat surrounding the fort was filled up in the early 1920s , there are many other features that make the fort a must visit for any traveler. Some of the cell rooms have been converted into galleries displaying historical facts, artifacts and conservation efforts. It has a Chapel and cells and Gunpowder Magazine. At one end of the fort, stands a Light House.
This Fort Cornwallis Light House was built in 1882 at the position on Lat.05'25'N Long 1200'21'E. by the British at a cost GBP10,224. This is a unique Light House as it was built with 21 meter white steel frame work. And the visual distance is 16 nautical miles, and the Light character FI.R.28. You can access to the top of the lighthouse with the permission from the on duty guard. The location is just behind the Fort CornwallisFort Cornwallis & Lighthouse
In 2003, archaeological excavations unearthed a small tunnel with a 96cm opening underneath the building. Artifacts discovered included broken pieces of pottery, Chinese roof tiles, bricks, glasses, porcelain and coins and even nails.
Then, the building – known among locals as the European Club, was primarily used as a venue for the town’s European community where social events, balls, public speeches, drama performances, art exhibitions and concerts were held.
Lt-Governor Sir Archibald Edward Harbord Anson first laid its foundation on Jan 1, 1879. Occupying a land area of 70,711 sq feet, the building was completed in 1880 and officiated by the then Governor of Straits Settlements Frederick Weld.
In 1999, the building’s ballroom on the first floor was “transformed” into a “Royal Hall of Justice” for the filming of 20th Century Fox’s blockbuster, Anna and the King.
Suffolk House built in 1780s by our beloved founder Captain Francis Light and named after his birth place SUFFOLK ENGLAND. – Penang’s first “Great House”, a stunning example of an Anglo-Indian garden house and one of its most important colonial heritage landmarks is more than 2(TWO) HUNDRED years old with period furnishing. With its stylish interiors and picturesque lawn,
Winner of the Award of Distinction in the 2008 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Heritage Awards for Culture Heritage Conservation
Believed to have been constructed in accordance to perfect feng shui specifications, the Cheong Fatt Tze mansion with its elaborate pillars and beautiful inner courtyard is a Unesco Asia-Pacific Heritage Award 2000 recipient.
A geomancer’s dream, the 38-room mansion faces the rising sun with its entrances facing the sea and hills behind for “protection”.
With seven staircases, five granite-paved courtyards and 220 windows, it is massive by any standards. Bathed in a soothing blue hue, the mansion’s walls display 12 rare sculptures along the balcony outside the front room.
These sculptures on the wall depict stories from Chinese classics or mythology and were made from broken pieces of porcelain cups to create the intricate picture stories.
Comprising and five terrace houses across the man building, the mansion sits on a jaw-dropping 56,000 sq. ft. land. On rainy days, the floor of the courtyard is covered in a swirling pool of rainwater that flows down from rain gutters through two water outlets at the side of the courtyard. The gush of water from two opposite ends meet in the centre, causing the water to swirl and leaving visitors in awe of Malaysia’s most famous blue building.
We Penangites own an honourable respect to our beloved Captain. Without him, Penang will never be as what it is today. He has laid many plans which brought in the British systems and laws which is still in practice in our country.
He was laid to rest at Penang First Christian Cemetery in 1794.
"MAY GOD BLESSED HIS SOUL" AMEN!
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 100 Reviews
- 596 Photos
- 3 Countries
- 16 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
- Posted in Travel Thailand Forum "Re: mae sarong"
- limkahwan and arturowan are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Holy Dipterocarpus Altus Trees Lamphun in Lamphun Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Holy Dipterocarpus Altus Trees Lamphun"
- updated a Lamphun Travel Page "Lamphun famous for Longan & Beautiful Ladies"
- Commented on limkahwan's profile page
- Uploaded a Video to Chiang Mai
updated their Profile Page "Sam it out"
PhotosSee All Photos (596)
VideosSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Penang Intro, 33 reviews, 145 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negeri Kelantan Intro, 13 reviews, 69 photos, 1 travelogue
- Thailand Intro, 11 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 11 reviews, 58 photos
- Taipei Intro, 4 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- T'ai-chung Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Taiwan Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos
- Kaohsiung Intro, 2 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Negeri Terengganu Intro, 3 reviews, 18 photos
- T'ai-nan Intro, 1 review, 16 photos, 1 travelogue