"A Tale of Three Cities" Tallinn by spidermiss
Tallinn Travel Guide: 1,914 reviews and 5,293 photos
Tallinn goes back to the 13th Century and since then has been occupied by Swedish, German and Russian occupants. After World War I, Tallinn became the state capital of Estonia and after World II was annexed to the former Soviet Union. Estonia became independent in 1991.
Tallinn offers so much to see and do for the visitors and residents alike. Tallinn is know for its song festivals and 'Tallinn Old Days'. Tallinn hosted the yachting events for the 1980 Moscow Olympics.
Tallinn during the summer is popular for the 'White Nights' where it doesn't get dark. The city is also renowned as a tale of three cities with the old town, ancient citadel (Toompea Castle) and the modern city.
Please check out the official website to find out what is there to see and do.
Sights not to miss: Toompea Castle, Pik (long) Hermann, Kiek in de Kok, Alexander Nevski Cathedral, Tallinn Cathedral, Pikk (long) Jaig (leg street), Church of St Nicholas, Town Hall, Magistrates Hall, Apothecay's shop, Church of the Holy Spirit, Great Guild Building, House of the Brotherhood of the Blackheads, St Olaf's Church, Stout Margaret.
Nearby excursions are possible: Kadroig Palace, Rocco al Mare, Lahemaa National Park
*I'm hoping to scan photos from my 2003 trip to Tallinn at some point in the future*
I purchased a 24 hour Tallinn Card when I spent a weekend in Tallinn. The cards are convenient to use and saves you a... more travel advice
During my Tallinn stay I made a day trip to visit my friend in Helsinki in Finland and see the city's sights. I don't... more travel advice
spidermiss' Related Pages
Tallinn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shades of Grey"
- "Tallinn - A Great Mixture of the Old and the New"
- "A medieval marvel"
- "Tallinn - medieval spirit city"
- "In the bleak midwinter ..."
- "Towers and tiles and spires and cobbles."
- "Tallinn - Nordic beauty with soviet past"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tallinn
- Hotels in Tallinn
- Transportation in Tallinn
- Nightlife in Tallinn
- Restaurants in Tallinn
- Shopping in Tallinn
- Warnings and Dangers in Tallinn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tallinn
- 5 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Tallinn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tallinn
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 186 reviews, 742 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 137 reviews, 670 photos, 30 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- York Intro, 38 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 27 reviews, 118 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 25 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues