"Berwick Upon Tweed" Berwick-Upon-Tweed by spidermiss
Berwick-Upon-Tweed Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 151 photos
I spent a couple of days in Berwick Upon Tweed in October 2012 on my way back from Edinburgh. I've passed the town so many times on my way up to Scotland but never stopped so this was an opportunity to explore Berwick.
I had fun getting to know the town with its history and Lowry connections. The town is situated in North Northumberland and the northernmost English Town. It's only 56 miles south from Edinburgh and 65 miles north by train north from Newcastle.
Originally founded as settlement by the Anglo Saxons during the Kingdom of Northumbria. Berwick was fought over many times between the English and the Scots until the late 15th Century. Berwick is traditional market but what's notable is it's barrack buildings with its defence ramparts and fortification walls. It was known once as Scotland's wealthiest port.
Even if Berwick is in England it feels more Scottish than English! It has a Scottish Football Team and in the supermarket I noticed Scottish delicacies and locally (from Scotland) sourced food. There were also Scottish Banks in the town. As the Berwick-upon-Tweed Partnership quoted Berwick as 'Town between two kingdoms' and 'Berwick is in England now, but some would say her heart's still in Scotland'.
On a future visit I would explore more of the town and perhaps visit Eyemouth just over the border!
- Pros:England's last frontier town!
- Cons:Often overlooked on the train to Scotland!
- In a nutshell:A taste of England and Scotland!
In picture 1 I saw the Berwick-Upon-Tweed Barracks & Main Guards. The attraction is only opened seasonally from Easter... more travel advice
Berwick walls were once part of a defence project commissioned for Queen Elizabeth I. The purpose of the walls was to... more travel advice
spidermiss' Related Pages
Berwick-Upon-Tweed Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fortress Berwick"
- "Gateway to Scotland"
- "Berwick Upon Tweed"
- "Berwick Upon Tweed"
- "Scots or English?"
- "The border begins here"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Hotels in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Transportation in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Nightlife in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Restaurants in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Shopping in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Warnings and Dangers in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- 13 Reviews
- 92 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Berwick-Upon-Tweed?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berwick-Upon-Tweed
Photos in Berwick-Upon-TweedSee All Photos (92)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 123 reviews, 593 photos, 24 travelogues
- London Intro, 124 reviews, 497 photos, 11 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- York Intro, 35 reviews, 122 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 27 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 25 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest Berwick-Upon-Tweed hotel reviews
- Haggerston Castle Holiday Park
- 656 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Black Bull Inn
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013
- Cat Inn
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Kings Arms Hotel
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Meadow Hill Guest House
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 20, 2013