"Brum....Birmingham" Birmingham by spidermiss
Birmingham Travel Guide: 792 reviews and 1,330 photos
Birmingham is the second largest city in the UK and situated in Central England. It emerged as a prominent centre from the Industrial Revolution and, after World War II, it because a major city for hosting top business, cultural and sporting events in the country.
Neo-classical architecture, from the 19th Century, can be seen in many of the Birmingham's civic buildings including the city's museum and art gallery. It's worth making a visit to the museum and art gallery, free entry, and having afternoon teain the Edwardian tea room.
To see the success of the Industrial Revolution there is an opportunity to walk through Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter where successes of jewellery merchants were and are celebrated past and present. Outside the city centre it is worth making a trip to Cadbury's World, in Bourneville, where the Cadbury brothers began producing the world famous Cadbury's chocolate and this is built on the success on the Industrial Revolution that Birmingham experienced.
There are opportunities to make various trips in Central England's countryside such as the Black Country, The Cotswold and Peak District National Park.
Unfortunately, I've had unhappy memories and experiences associated with the city and it was 8 years before I returned to the City. On my recent visits I appreciated the city a lot more than I ever have done and the city is blessed with an amazing heritage and world class facilities! I think the visits have put behind those experiences and look forward to appreciating the city more!
It was the fact that Birmingham was hosting 'The Phantom of the Opera' which convinced me to return and give the city another chance after an eight year gap! So it's thanks to my favourite musical that I was able to make two return visits and got a lot out of the city too! I'm planning to make a few more trips to Birmingham in the future to see some productions by the Birmingham Royal Ballet at the Hippodrome.
My Mum and I had a couple of days in Birmingham and Lichfield at the beginning of April. We spent the first afternoon exploring a bit of the city centre including The Library of Birmingham. We stayed over at a hotel very near Grand Central shopping complex and New Street Railway Station. The following day we took a train to Lichfield, Staffordshire, where we spent a few hours exploring the city before returning to Birmingham for our train home. A memorable trip overall!
- Pros:The place to go for International Events and Shopping!
- Cons:Some parts of the city is in need of a repeat regeneration!
- In a nutshell:2nd largest city in the UK!
The site was originally the home of John Baskerville, a printer and type designer. Baskerville House was designed by T.... more travel advice
We visited this impressive library which was built and opened in 2013. This replaced the old Central Library which was... more travel advice
spidermiss' Related Pages
Birmingham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Birmingham, England ~~~~ original brum!"
- "Big Bad Brum, now Big Bling Brum"
- "Birmingham: My Home!"
- "~ A Weekend In Birmingham ~"
- "J_P_B's Birmingham Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Birmingham
- Hotels in Birmingham
- Transportation in Birmingham
- Nightlife in Birmingham
- Restaurants in Birmingham
- Shopping in Birmingham
- Warnings and Dangers in Birmingham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Birmingham
- 21 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Birmingham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Birmingham
Photos in BirminghamSee All Photos (95)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 190 reviews, 794 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 148 reviews, 739 photos, 32 travelogues
- York Intro, 72 reviews, 271 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 50 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 26 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues