"A Brief Encounter in Carnforth!" Carnforth by spidermiss

Carnforth Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 8 photos

A few brief encounters so far!

I've past Carnforth Station a number of times whenever I was on my way to visiting my Aunty in the Lake District. My initial impressions were the station was derelict and not worth getting off to explore! I was depressed to see the unused trains just outside the station and dubbed this as 'a graveyard'.

Michael Portillo on Great British Railways mentioned Carnforth Station and I also came across the station and its fame for 'The Brief Encounter' on the internet. This was enough to warrant a little visit and the great metro train offer!

Carnforth was renowned for its successful railway hist where in 1846 steam trains pulled out of the station for the first time. Carnforth was the gateway of rail travel to North West England from other parts of the country.

During World War II, many soldiers passed through the station for duties abroad. Carnforth was used to film 'The Brief Encounter" in 1945.

The railway went into decline since the 1970s when it was no longer used for mainline train services. Still local trains from Yorkshire and North West stop at Carnforth.

Today the station hosts the restored Carnforth Stations and Visitors Centre.

A special offer on the train lured me to Carnforth

Metro (Public Transport for West Yorkshire) was offering 9.00 gbp return journey (Only up to 23rd March 2012) for Metrocard holders on the Leeds-Morecombe and Leeds-Settle-Carlisle Railway. This is up to a saving of least 20 gbp! Me being a metrocard holder I've decided at the last minute to make a train journey up to Carnforth (February 2012). Just for a change of scenery and also to visit the station's visitors centre.

You can read more about the offer via metro's website! (February 2012)

My visit!

I was glad to have made the short and sweet visit to Carnforth. I wouldn't have made a special trip to visit if it wasn't for the metro special offer on the train.

Perhaps if I was commuting via Carnforth on my way to the Lake District, I would be more than happy to spend time in the Refreshment Room whilst waiting for my connecting train.

I hope I can check out the town centre itself. It was too cold to visit and as I visited on a Sunday the town more or less would have been quiet. The bookshop I wanted to check out is closed on Sundays.

• Pros:Famed for Brief Encounter and Steam!
  • Cons:Carnforth Railway Station has had its hey day!
  • In a nutshell:A perfect place for a brief encounter before moving on!
  • Intro Updated Feb 27, 2012

Comments

spidermiss

“Seeing the World via Theatre!”

Badges & Stats in Carnforth

Have you been to Carnforth?