"Hathersage" Hathersage by spidermiss
Hathersage Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 256 photos
Hathersage is situated in the Hope Valley between Sheffield and Castleton in the North of England. This village was known as 'Hereseige' and even was mentioned inthe Domeday Book in the 11th Century.
Before the Industrial Revolution in the late 1700s Hathersage was a family community with small isolated farms. After the Industrial Revolution mills were built to produce wool and cotton where water and stream from the nearby brooks powered the production.
Hathersage is a village community drawing many visitors to enjoy the village itself and the surrounding Peak District countryside. Notable attractions are the past historic links with Robin Hood and his Merry Men and Charlotte Bronte's 'Jane Eyre'.
Gillybob (Gilly) suggested that we have a day out in the country and show YumYum (Sonja) the delights of the English countryside. We had a wonderful day out in Hathersage where we did the village trail and had lunch at Scotman's Pack Inn - a big thanks to Suvanki (Sue) who did the research and Gillybob (Gilly) for organising the meet. Other members attended Alyf1961 (Alyson), Ricky52 (Ricky) and his wife Sheila and DavidGB (David).
I now look forward to the next meet!
Please see the Travelogue about the great meet!
- Pros:A village with interesting historical links with surrounding countryside!
- Cons:Can be very busy during school and bank holidays!
- In a nutshell:Ha-va-sau-sage (Phonetic spelling)!
The wool and cotton mill ran by Dale Brook and powered by water and steam during the 19th Century played a crucial role... more travel advice
Surprise View is a scenic lookout point of Hathersage and Hope Valley down below on the A625 road from Sheffield. You're... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
Hathersage Village Guided Walk
Written May 9, 2016
VT Meeting - 2nd May 2011
spidermiss' Related Pages
Hathersage Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Countryside Day Out"
- ""The Ooop North Crew" are in town"
- "A Yummy Day out in Hathersage"
- "We welcome yumyum to Hathersage"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hathersage
- Hotels in Hathersage
- Transportation in Hathersage
- Restaurants in Hathersage
- Shopping in Hathersage
- Warnings and Dangers in Hathersage
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hathersage
- 9 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Hathersage?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hathersage
Photos in HathersageSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 190 reviews, 794 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 148 reviews, 739 photos, 32 travelogues
- York Intro, 72 reviews, 271 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 50 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 26 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues