"Inveraray" Inveraray by spidermiss
Inveraray Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 134 photos
We stopped in Inveraray for a comfort stop in January 2010 when I partook in the West Highlands Tour. As time was limited we only had a wander round the town including the harbour and Loch Fyne. We had a look at the well known castle nearby - the castle was closed as it's only opened seasonally.
Inveraray was founded in 1745 by the Duke of Argyll who made the castle as his ancestral home. Robert Mylne, from Edinburgh, designed most of the town including the church between the back end of the 18th Century.
I look forward to returning to the town independently one day in the future. In the meantime please check out the website for further information on things to see and do there.
Loch Fyne is the largest sea lake in Scotland and is connected to the Sound of Jura by the Crinan Canal. It's reputed for its oysters fishery. It's approximately 45 miles long inland from the Sound of Bute. Please check out the website about the community around Loch Fyne by clicking on the link.
- Pros:An interesting town situated on Loch Awe.
- Cons:Wish I had more time to explore!
- In a nutshell:Gateway to the West Highlands and Islands!
spidermiss' Related Pages
Inveraray Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Inveraray - a magical place"
- "Inveraray, Scotland A Must See!!!"
- "Inveraray, Loch Fyne"
- "OLD JAIL AND CASTLE ON THE LOCH"
- "A short, far too short trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Inveraray
- Hotels in Inveraray
- Transportation in Inveraray
- Nightlife in Inveraray
- Restaurants in Inveraray
- Shopping in Inveraray
- Warnings and Dangers in Inveraray
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Inveraray
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Inveraray?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Inveraray
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 755 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 137 reviews, 678 photos, 31 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- York Intro, 44 reviews, 168 photos, 4 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 31 reviews, 132 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 25 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues