"Historic Lancaster!" Top 5 Page for this destination Lancaster by spidermiss

Lancaster Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 172 photos

A city blessed with so much history!

I had a wonderful day in March 2012 visiting the historic city of Lancaster. I've past Lancaster number of times on the train on my way to visiting my Aunty in the Lake District but never had the opportunity to explore until now.

Whilst in Lancaster I participated in a guided tour around the Castle and visited the Maritime Museum. Both attractions were excellent and learnt so much about the city's history. I also explored a bit of the city centre and had dinner there. I've only scratched the surface so I look forward to returning to visit places and sights I didn't have opportunity to do on my recent trip. What was refreshing was not seeing the tourist crowds you would usually get at historic cities! There was only a handful of visitors at the Castle and the Museum when I visited. It was a shame the weather was mixed that day so maybe return in the summer:-)!

A city near to sea and countryside!

Lancaster is blessed to be situated near the seaside resort of Morecombe and not far from the Forest of Bowland, Lake District and Yorkshire Dales National Park.

The River Lune feeds into the Bay of Morecombe's Estuary and the area is known for its natural habitat.

I look forward to returning to Lancaster and explore more of the city's immediate regions. Like the current official travel brochure says, 'Keep Exploring'!

Lured by Metro's Winter Special Offer

Metro (Public Transport Authority for West Yorkshire) was offering 9.00 gbp return journey (Only up to 23rd March 2012) for Metrocard holders on the Leeds-Morecombe and Leeds-Settle-Carlisle Railway. This is up to a saving of least 20 gbp! Me being a metrocard holder I planned a trip to Lancaster (March 2012). Just for a change of scenery and to explore a city I haven't yet seen.

You can read more about the offer via metro's website! (March 2012)

• Pros:A city blessed with fascinating history!
  • Cons:The rain when I went!
  • In a nutshell:The Lancastarian Red Rose!
  • Last visit to Lancaster: Mar 2012
  • Intro Updated Mar 4, 2012

Comments

spidermiss

“Seeing the World via Theatre!”

Badges & Stats in Lancaster

Have you been to Lancaster?

Latest Activity in Lancaster