"Historic Lancaster!" Top 5 Page for this destination Lancaster by spidermiss
Lancaster Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 172 photos
I had a wonderful day in March 2012 visiting the historic city of Lancaster. I've past Lancaster number of times on the train on my way to visiting my Aunty in the Lake District but never had the opportunity to explore until now.
Whilst in Lancaster I participated in a guided tour around the Castle and visited the Maritime Museum. Both attractions were excellent and learnt so much about the city's history. I also explored a bit of the city centre and had dinner there. I've only scratched the surface so I look forward to returning to visit places and sights I didn't have opportunity to do on my recent trip. What was refreshing was not seeing the tourist crowds you would usually get at historic cities! There was only a handful of visitors at the Castle and the Museum when I visited. It was a shame the weather was mixed that day so maybe return in the summer:-)!
Lancaster is blessed to be situated near the seaside resort of Morecombe and not far from the Forest of Bowland, Lake District and Yorkshire Dales National Park.
The River Lune feeds into the Bay of Morecombe's Estuary and the area is known for its natural habitat.
I look forward to returning to Lancaster and explore more of the city's immediate regions. Like the current official travel brochure says, 'Keep Exploring'!
Metro (Public Transport Authority for West Yorkshire) was offering 9.00 gbp return journey (Only up to 23rd March 2012) for Metrocard holders on the Leeds-Morecombe and Leeds-Settle-Carlisle Railway. This is up to a saving of least 20 gbp! Me being a metrocard holder I planned a trip to Lancaster (March 2012). Just for a change of scenery and to explore a city I haven't yet seen.
You can read more about the offer via metro's website! (March 2012)
- Pros:A city blessed with fascinating history!
- Cons:The rain when I went!
- In a nutshell:The Lancastarian Red Rose!
West Yorkshire Metro Travel Authority was offering MetroCard and Metro Pass holders an opportunity to travel on the... more travel advice
Penny's Hospital and Almhouses were built in 1720 by William Penny and were recently restored in 1974. more travel advice
spidermiss' Related Pages
Lancaster Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lancaster - close to Mountain, Moor and Sea"
- "Lancashire's Royal City"
- "The Queen is a Duke!"
- "Historic Lancaster!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lancaster
- Hotels in Lancaster
- Transportation in Lancaster
- Nightlife in Lancaster
- Restaurants in Lancaster
- Shopping in Lancaster
- Warnings and Dangers in Lancaster
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lancaster
- 12 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Lancaster?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lancaster
Photos in LancasterSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 181 reviews, 722 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 135 reviews, 659 photos, 28 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- York Intro, 37 reviews, 130 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 27 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 25 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues