"My Home!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds by spidermiss
Leeds Travel Guide: 595 reviews and 1,722 photos
I live and work in Leeds. I lived in Leeds most of my life. I'm very proud of Leeds and always like to show off my city to visitors.
Over 750,000 people live in Leeds. The city as well as the city centre has smaller town centres and villages in its districts. Leeds is renowned for its green space and is blessed with a number of parks including Temple Newsam House & Estate and Lotherton Hall & Bird Gardens.
Industrial Past & History
Leeds played a key industrial role during the Industrial Revolution in the late 18th Century. The City specialised in the wool industry and trade. This resulted in the creation of the Leeds/Liverpool Canal in 1816 and a strong industrial trade was established with America via Liverpool. In 1893 Leeds was awarded the city status very quickly! In 1775 there were 17,000 residents in Leeds but jumped up to 89,000 in 1841!
With the industrial decline in the 20th Century, Leeds struggled with its identity until big regneration programmes took place making the city, once again, an attractive city with a proud industrial heritage for large commercial firms to invest in.
Arts & Culture
Leeds has some interesting museums linking to the past, especially its industrial past, and present including Leeds City Museum; Abbey House Museum; Leeds Industrial Museum and Leeds Art Gallery. It has a great arts and entertainment scene with the wonderful Grand Theatre & Opera House. We now have our own arena and will attract big concert line ups and entertainment!
Some of the sources obtained from City Museum (please see my tip).
This is an exciting project about hand drawn historic tithe maps which span Leeds and its Metropolitan District.
You can learn more about the project via its website.
- Pros:An amazing industrial heritage and a central location in the UK!
- Cons:I think Leeds is overlooked!
- In a nutshell:Leeds, Live it, Love it!
This is the first time I visited Handmade Burger Co restaurant (In February 2014). It's a new restaurant which opened at... more travel advice
spidermiss' Related Pages
Leeds Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LEEDS, LIVE IT, LOVE IT"
- "My Home!!!"
- "Lively Leeds"
- "Leeds – A victorian city wakes up"
- "Leeds, West Yorkshire"
- "Leeds: The Largest City in the North"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Leeds
- Hotels in Leeds
- Transportation in Leeds
- Nightlife in Leeds
- Restaurants in Leeds
- Shopping in Leeds
- Warnings and Dangers in Leeds
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leeds
- 129 Reviews
- 629 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Leeds?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leeds
Photos in LeedsSee All Photos (629)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 156 reviews, 618 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 129 reviews, 628 photos, 26 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- York Intro, 36 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 27 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 25 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues