"A World Heritage City!" Liverpool by spidermiss
Liverpool Travel Guide: 1,326 reviews and 2,482 photos
I had always deterred from visiting Liverpool for various reasons. When I was growing up, I wasn't encouraged to go because of Toxteth riots in 1981 and the big social issues the city endured since the decline and closure of the dock activity which the city was renowned for world wide.
Me being an open minded person and who likes to challenge perceptions I was determined to go. The city has moved on a lot since 1981!!! In 2005, I went for the day with family and friends and went and The Beatles Festival the city hosts every August Bank Holiday. It was a great day and I had an opportunity to do an orientation tour of The Albert Dock and The Pier Head and learnt that Liverpool was going to the European City of Culture in 2008. I was impressed with what the city offered and I was determined to return some point in the future.
It would take another six years later for me to return to Liverpool and explore independently. I meant to have returned earlier but something kept creeping up in preventing me doing so. One October Sunday in 2011 I had this opportunity and took it!
In October 2011 I spent the afternoon visiting The Albert Dock and the Maritime Museum (visited the International Slavery Museum) and I had a wander along the Pier Head and saw The Three Graces. Near Lime Street Station I had a wander around St George's Hall, Walker Art Gallery and The Empire Theatre.
I made a return visit with friends in March 2013. The main reason was to see Phantom at The Empire Theatre but we took the opportunity to explore more of the city especially at the waterfront. I was delighted to have visited a special Exhibition, 'Titanic & Liverpool - The Unfold Story' at the Merseyside Maritime Museum. I was able to make a side trip to Port Sunlight on my final day of my visit (please see my tip for more details).
Liverpool is one of the largest cities in the UK and the port city situated in the North West of England. It was a world famous port from the 18th Century where Liverpool had close links with the Slave Trade until it's abolition at the beginning of the 19th Century. Liverpool was an established trading point where 40% of the world's trade passed through it's docks during the 19th Century.
Liverpool is synonymously known for the Beatles, Gerry and the Pacemakers and other artists from the Merseybeat Era. Those artists alone attract many visitors to the cities and that the city celebrated European Capital of Culture in 2008.
Liverpool is privleged to be part of a diverse culture with the oldest African and Chinese community in Europe alongside Irish immigrants. Some of the city's location were granted World Heritage Site status in 2004, known as Liverpool Maritime Mercantile City, such as the Pier Head and Albert Dock.
Liverpool is blessed with an abundance of heritage relating to it's past dock and trading systems during the 18th and 19th Century; its mercantile culture and social history varying from the poignant slave trade to mass emigration.
You can find out more about the city's heritage via the official website .
- Pros:The city is blessed with amazing heritage and history!
- Cons:The city has had its social issues!
- In a nutshell:The Beatles, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Scousers!
Roscoe Street Gardens is named after William Roscoe (1753-1831), an member of Parliament, a historian, a leading... more travel advice
spidermiss' Related Pages
Liverpool Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Liverpool - European Capital of Culture 2008"
- "ACROSS THE UNIVERSE"
- "More Than The Beatles...."
- "Liverpool - a dream come true!"
- "Liverpool Revisited"
- "Beatles everywhere!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Liverpool
- Hotels in Liverpool
- Transportation in Liverpool
- Nightlife in Liverpool
- Restaurants in Liverpool
- Shopping in Liverpool
- Warnings and Dangers in Liverpool
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Liverpool
- 31 Reviews
- 132 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Liverpool?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liverpool
Photos in LiverpoolSee All Photos (132)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 755 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 137 reviews, 678 photos, 31 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- York Intro, 44 reviews, 168 photos, 4 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 31 reviews, 132 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 25 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues