"A World Heritage City!" Liverpool by spidermiss

Liverpool Travel Guide: 1,281 reviews and 2,296 photos

I think of 'Ferry across the Mersey'!

I had always deterred from visiting Liverpool for various reasons. When I was growing up, I wasn't encouraged to go because of Toxteth riots in 1981 and the big social issues the city endured since the decline and closure of the dock activity which the city was renowned for world wide.

Me being an open minded person and who likes to challenge perceptions I was determined to go. The city has moved on a lot since 1981!!! In 2005, I went for the day with family and friends and went and The Beatles Festival the city hosts every August Bank Holiday. It was a great day and I had an opportunity to do an orientation tour of The Albert Dock and The Pier Head and learnt that Liverpool was going to the European City of Culture in 2008. I was impressed with what the city offered and I was determined to return some point in the future.

It would take another six years later for me to return to Liverpool and explore independently. I meant to have returned earlier but something kept creeping up in preventing me doing so. One October Sunday in 2011 I had this opportunity and took it!

In October 2011 I spent the afternoon visiting The Albert Dock and the Maritime Museum (visited the International Slavery Museum) and I had a wander along the Pier Head and saw The Three Graces. Near Lime Street Station I had a wander around St George's Hall, Walker Art Gallery and The Empire Theatre.

I made a return visit with friends in March 2013. The main reason was to see Phantom at The Empire Theatre but we took the opportunity to explore more of the city especially at the waterfront. I was delighted to have visited a special Exhibition, 'Titanic & Liverpool - The Unfold Story' at the Merseyside Maritime Museum. I was able to make a side trip to Port Sunlight on my final day of my visit (please see my tip for more details).

A bit about Liverpool

Liverpool is one of the largest cities in the UK and the port city situated in the North West of England. It was a world famous port from the 18th Century where Liverpool had close links with the Slave Trade until it's abolition at the beginning of the 19th Century. Liverpool was an established trading point where 40% of the world's trade passed through it's docks during the 19th Century.

Liverpool is synonymously known for the Beatles, Gerry and the Pacemakers and other artists from the Merseybeat Era. Those artists alone attract many visitors to the cities and that the city celebrated European Capital of Culture in 2008.

Liverpool is privleged to be part of a diverse culture with the oldest African and Chinese community in Europe alongside Irish immigrants. Some of the city's location were granted World Heritage Site status in 2004, known as Liverpool Maritime Mercantile City, such as the Pier Head and Albert Dock.

A World Heritage City

Liverpool is blessed with an abundance of heritage relating to it's past dock and trading systems during the 18th and 19th Century; its mercantile culture and social history varying from the poignant slave trade to mass emigration.

You can find out more about the city's heritage via the official website .

• Pros:The city is blessed with amazing heritage and history!
  • Cons:The city has had its social issues!
  • In a nutshell:The Beatles, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Scousers!
  • Last visit to Liverpool: Mar 2013
  • Intro Updated Mar 23, 2013

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Was in Liverpool last weekend, great city, great tips

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
      Mar 20, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Thanks Dave! Still need to finish them off. It's an amazing city and planning to return soon!:D

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Great page on my favourite English city, Dswn! I must try and get to the World Museum next time I visit Liverpool. For some reason, I always get pulled towards the Albert Dock...or Anfield! :D

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2011 at 5:03 AM

Great introduction and tips!! The Merseyside Museum is definitely someplace I would love to spend some time. Visited Liverpool in 1984 on a tour but most time was spent at the architecturally controversial (at that time) Catholic Cathedral. As I'm from the era of Merseyside music, festivals of that music would appeal to me.

spidermiss

“Seeing the World via Theatre!”

Badges & Stats in Liverpool

Have you been to Liverpool?

Latest Activity in Liverpool