"Manchester" Manchester by spidermiss

Manchester Travel Guide: 1,768 reviews and 4,109 photos

One of my favourite cities in the UK

Manchester is an hour from where I live, in Leeds, and I used to visit all the time for shopping, sightseeing, concerts, theatre, international sporting events and also for work. I lived there for a short while when I was very little.

I still love to visit Manchester although not as regular compared to the past to but got very fond memories of the city.

Facts about the city:

Manchester is the third largest city in the UK and situated in England's North West Region. The city was founded in Roman Times when known as Mancunium. Manchester rose to prominence during the Industrial Revolution when the cotton mill industry thus reflecting in the number of 19th century architectural buildings dotted around the city centre. These include the John Ryland's Library, the Town Hall, Free Trade Hall and the Royal Exchange, now a theatre which is renowned for its popular theatre productions.

Since the 1996 IRA terrorist attack in the city centre, Manchester has undergone intensive redevelopment and regeneration in the main shopping and business areas which is reflected in the old and new buildings.

Manchester is great for the lively nightlife and has one of the largest Chinatowns in the World outside China. There are the popular Printworks and Spinningfields entertainment complexes where you can dine and access various means of entertainment.

Manchester is famous for its football teams, Manchester United and Manchester City, and the city is also home of the the successful Birtish Olympic cycling team where they train at the national veledrome in the east of the city. Manchester held the 2002 Commonwealth Games and being there in person was a memorable experience.

Phantom Times in 1994, 1995, 2000 and now 2012!!!

It's no secret that I'm a BIG fan of 'The Phantom of the Opera'. Manchester will always be a special place in my heart as far as the musical is concerned. I began my Phantom journey one October evening in 1994 and 18 years later I'm still crazy over the show! I've now seen the show a total of 15 times in Manchester now! I hope the city will host the musical again in the not too distant future!

My thoughts about the city!

A quote from Adolphe Valette, a French Impressionist Painter in the early 20th Century, 'There is beauty in Manchester'. His quote sums up the feelings I have about the city!

• Pros:Everything you need for a city!
  • Cons:The rain! But luckily the sun shone a lot on past visits!
  • In a nutshell:Manchester is my choice for a change of city scene!
  • Last visit to Manchester: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated May 17, 2012

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Fantastic tips, Dawn! I need to return to Manchester one day and see all the things I missed on my first visit :-)

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Looking forward to the Manchester Xmas meet :-) Have yet to decide on a hotel. Last year I stayed in the Piccadilly Gardens.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2011 at 4:32 AM

Looks like you enjoyed your visit to Manchester. Nice to have met up with some of our VT friends.

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2011 at 3:58 AM

Great tips and pics Dawn, looking forward to visiting some of these museums next time I'm here. Looks like Piccadilly Gardens is becoming the official VT hotel in Manchester!

• adema29's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2011 at 4:25 AM

Very nice city, indeed! When it's not raining:)

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2010 at 8:03 AM

A great start on your Manchester page, I'm glad you had such a good time at the meeting!

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Dawn, I agree with Gilly - terrific opening shot with the reflections. Regards, Mike

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Great photos, Dawn! Love the reflections in your main photo! Gillybob greetings

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Hello, Dawn! Thanks for your page! Greetings to Leeds!

spidermiss

“Seeing the World via Theatre!”

Badges & Stats in Manchester

Have you been to Manchester?