"Manchester" Manchester by spidermiss
Manchester Travel Guide: 1,774 reviews and 4,181 photos
Manchester is an hour from where I live, in Leeds, and I used to visit all the time for shopping, sightseeing, concerts, theatre, international sporting events and also for work. I lived there for a short while when I was very little.
I still love to visit Manchester although not as regular compared to the past to but got very fond memories of the city.
Facts about the city:
Manchester is the third largest city in the UK and situated in England's North West Region. The city was founded in Roman Times when known as Mancunium. Manchester rose to prominence during the Industrial Revolution when the cotton mill industry thus reflecting in the number of 19th century architectural buildings dotted around the city centre. These include the John Ryland's Library, the Town Hall, Free Trade Hall and the Royal Exchange, now a theatre which is renowned for its popular theatre productions.
Since the 1996 IRA terrorist attack in the city centre, Manchester has undergone intensive redevelopment and regeneration in the main shopping and business areas which is reflected in the old and new buildings.
Manchester is great for the lively nightlife and has one of the largest Chinatowns in the World outside China. There are the popular Printworks and Spinningfields entertainment complexes where you can dine and access various means of entertainment.
Manchester is famous for its football teams, Manchester United and Manchester City, and the city is also home of the the successful Birtish Olympic cycling team where they train at the national veledrome in the east of the city. Manchester held the 2002 Commonwealth Games and being there in person was a memorable experience.
It's no secret that I'm a BIG fan of 'The Phantom of the Opera'. Manchester will always be a special place in my heart as far as the musical is concerned. I began my Phantom journey one October evening in 1994 and 18 years later I'm still crazy over the show! I've now seen the show a total of 15 times in Manchester now! I hope the city will host the musical again in the not too distant future!
A quote from Adolphe Valette, a French Impressionist Painter in the early 20th Century, 'There is beauty in Manchester'. His quote sums up the feelings I have about the city!
- Pros:Everything you need for a city!
- Cons:The rain! But luckily the sun shone a lot on past visits!
- In a nutshell:Manchester is my choice for a change of city scene!
On our arrival at Manchester Victoria Station, we stopped in Starbucks, an international coffeehouse chain,for a drink... more travel advice
My friend and I had dinner there after we had seen 'A Doll's House' at the Royal Exchange House. I love the coffee at... more travel advice
- See All From 'Home to Home'
- See All Manchester Victoria Station (Regional...
- See All Choice of Entertainment
spidermiss' Related Pages
Manchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ben-UK's Manchester page"
- "My Manchester"
- "Manchester - Full of Surprises"
- "Manchester - a versatile city"
- "Manchester and the Christmas Markets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manchester
- Hotels in Manchester
- Transportation in Manchester
- Nightlife in Manchester
- Restaurants in Manchester
- Shopping in Manchester
- Warnings and Dangers in Manchester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manchester
- 50 Reviews
- 256 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Manchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manchester
Photos in ManchesterSee All Photos (256)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 193 reviews, 800 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 147 reviews, 750 photos, 34 travelogues
- York Intro, 75 reviews, 282 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 50 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 26 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues