"Northallerton" Northallerton by spidermiss
Northallerton Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 73 photos
Ruth, my friend, suggested Northallerton for us to meet up for the day. I've had former friends in Northallerton. So I had my reservations about revisiting the town but with a Betty's Cafe being there I knew I would enjoy my day out!
My perceptions about Northallerton being a typical ordinary market town changed a lot on this visit. I was delighted to see a variety of high street and independent shops, family run and chain cafes/restaurants and a thriving market which are held twice a week at the Market Square and the High Street. It had a very lively feel with locals getting about with their business.
It was also nice to visit a town which doesn't offer much in the way of tourist attractions but there is an abundance of town's history. We learnt more of the history when we did the town trail and I somehow appreciated the town a lot more. What was refreshing was not seeing the tourist crowds which we would have seen with the likes of York and the Yorkshire Dales villages.
Northallerton is the administrative centre for North Yorkshire county and acts as the commuter centre for many of the county workers and visitors where there are transport links to rest of the county and also to the Yorkshire Dales but also to Darlington, Teeside and Durham.
Northallerton was originally a Saxon settlement. The Anglo Saxons and the Normans won The Battle of the Standard in 1138 in the town against the Scots. The Prince Bishops of Durham also built a summer palace and church during the Middle Ages.
Northallerton started to thrive when the town received its market charter and the town was on the main London to Scotland road and it became a stopping point to coach and horse travellers. Northallerton is the gateway to both the Yorkshire Dales and North Yorks Moors National Parks and the railway station is situated on the London to Edinburgh railway network.
I look forward to revisiting the town in the not too distant future.
- Pros:A pleasant market town with something for everyone!
- Cons:Not enough pedestrian crossings!
- In a nutshell:A non touristy Yorkshire town with interesting history!
This Methodist Church is situated on Northallerton's High Street. more travel advice
Ruth and I came across this wonderful chocolate and sweet shop in one of the town's malls. The shop offers a wide range... more travel advice
spidermiss' Related Pages
Northallerton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "County town of North Yorkshire"
- "Northallerton - My hometown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Northallerton
- Hotels in Northallerton
- Transportation in Northallerton
- Restaurants in Northallerton
- Shopping in Northallerton
- Warnings and Dangers in Northallerton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Northallerton
- 9 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Northallerton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northallerton
Photos in NorthallertonSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 157 reviews, 622 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 129 reviews, 628 photos, 26 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- York Intro, 36 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 27 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 25 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues