"A Unique Maritime City!" Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth by spidermiss

Plymouth Travel Guide: 307 reviews and 654 photos

Positively Plymouth!!!

Captains, Explorers and Pilgrims have left footsteps in Plymouth for journeys of discovery since the 1600s. The city is blessed with a unique maritime history and heritage.

I had an opportunity to visit Plymouth in November 2011 when I decided to book the 'Three Phantoms' Concert at the city's Pavilions. Plymouth was the only UK city on the tour where there were speciific artists that I wanted to see and the producers also offered a 'VIP Meet and Greet' afterwards.

It was a very long train journey to Plymouth from Leeds but it was worth it for the amazing weekend I had there. I stayed in Plymouth for two nights in a wonderful guest house and I was able to explore the historic parts of the city such as The Hoe and The Barbican. Obviously, the concert was the highlight but I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the city.

Where the new Phantom Production Debuted!

I made my second journey in March 2012 where I saw 'The Phantom of the Opera' at the Plymouth Theatre Royal. The new production of the musical was amazing and the highlight of my trip! As well as visiting the theatre, I enjoyed visiting the City Art Gallery, Royal William Yard and The Mayflower Exhibition. It was nice meeting up with friends and enjoyed my stay in Plymouth. I left the city with very fond memories and hope to return someday!

Please check my Phantom Traveloge.

How Plymouth Began?

It was originally called Sutton because of links to the harbour. Plymouth, Devenport and Stonehouse were separate towns prior to the 20th Century. In 1928 the three towns grew together and joined up as a city.

The Mayflower Pilgrims departed Plymouth for the New World and in 1912 RMS Titanic survivors returned to England via Milbay Docks.

The city was practically rebuilt after World War II because of the heavy bombing.

Famous people have left their mark in Plymouth over the centuries:
Sir Francis Drake, Bryon, Wallis, Captain James Cook, Captain Tobias Furneaux, Charles Darwin, William Derry and Robert Falcon Scott (Antarctic connections). A poignant figure, John Hawkins, was the first English man to enter the Slave Trade and originally hailed from the area.

• Pros:Blessed with so much Martime History!
  • Cons:The public transport infrastructure to explore rest of Devon & Cornwall isn't the best in the world.
  • In a nutshell:The amazing views of The Plymouth Sound!
  • Last visit to Plymouth: Mar 2012
  • Intro Updated Mar 23, 2012

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Excellent page. Bit of a naff pub though.

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
      Nov 29, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Thanks. Love Plymouth! Is it the pub we went to? I wouldn't say it was the best ever pub I've been to lol

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I know the main reason why you traveled to Plymouth was to see Phantom, but I'm glad you had a bit of time to visit as well because I found the city's history quite fascinating. Thanks for sharing some tips!

spidermiss

“Seeing the World via Theatre!”

Badges & Stats in Plymouth

Have you been to Plymouth?

Latest Activity in Plymouth