"Saltaire" Saltaire by spidermiss

Saltaire Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 180 photos

Saltaire, an UNESCO Heritage Site

Saltaire is a Victorian industrial village in the suburbs of Bradford and near Shipley. Titus Salt, a mill owner and wealthy merchant, built Saltaire for his employees and the village included a school, a chapel, parks, housing and a hospital.

I always enjoy wandering around the village and its buildings whenever I visit Saltaire and end up enjoying a coffee in one of its cafes. When I come during the summer (weather permitting) I love relaxing with a good book in Roberts Park by the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. The main attraction is the Salt Mills, the main mill which Salt owned and where the main production activity was. Today its an attraction with shops, cafes, restaurants and place for exhibitions.

• Pros:An abundance of heritage
  • Cons:I wish they offered better selection of postcards
  • In a nutshell:Lovely to spend an afternoon exploring the village and having a drink at the Salts Mill!
  • Last visit to Saltaire: Aug 2012
  • Intro Updated Aug 28, 2012

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Hi Dawn! Enjoyed reading your helpful tips - will bear them in mind for mine and Mr B's Easter visit.

• suvanki's Profile Photo
      Mar 22, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I'm sure that we will! I'm not too bad - Hope that You are feeling much better!

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
      Mar 23, 2013 at 2:42 AM

I'm feeling better, thanks. Still up and down but better than what I was x

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2010 at 3:34 AM

Nice pics of Saltaire. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. SL :)

spidermiss Visits Here Frequently!

spidermiss

“Seeing the World via Theatre!”

Badges & Stats in Saltaire

Have you been to Saltaire?

Latest Activity in Saltaire