Sheffield Shopping Tips by spidermiss Top 5 Page for this destination
Sheffield Shopping: 22 reviews and 48 photos
Meadowhall & Interchange
It is no secret I'm no fan of shopping malls (and shopping in general!) and avoid them whenever I can! I appreciate the positives but the negatives play more on my mind. I can't help thinking how shopping malls have driven local businesses out of business, created less community cohesion and more impersonal service, and also there had been a decline in city centre shopping, as seen in Sheffield, because people aiming for out of town shopping! Personally, I find malls very crowded, claustrophobic, stuffy with the heat, and lack of natural light. However I do consider them as convenient places where everything one you can buy is under one roof and usually financial services, restaurants and cinema are part of the shopping complex.
The reason why I visited Meadowhall was to meet up with an ex friend for the day in February 2013. It was an experience I'd rather forget but enjoyed seeing the movie, 'Les Miserables' at its cinema. However I'm not in a hurry to visit Meadowhall again!
If you like shopping and shopping malls, I do recommend a visit to Meadowhall as it offers a wide range of department stores, designer, high street and independent shops. There are a number of coffee mall cafes dotted on its 'streets' and also the Oasis dining quarter offers a variety of nationwide chain restaurants and a self service food points.
Address: Meadowhall Centre, Sheffield, S9 1EP
Directions: Junction 24, M1
It cost me 9.30 gbp (February 2013) for an off-peak day return ticket from Leeds to Meadowhall Interchange. Please see Northern Rail website for further information.
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: 0845 600 6800
The Moor Shopping Area (Past Memories)
Since 1922, The Moors has been one of Sheffield's primary shopping areas. Since Meadowhall Shopping Mall and other out of town shopping centres were built, the area went in decline as the business and trade were diverted out of town. The good news is that the area is now being developed including the pedestrian zone with fancy seating and there are plans for a new market buildings (but from what is understood at the moment is that the plans are on hold at the time of writing this tip - April 2011).
Photos were taken from The Moor photo canvases which are displayed at various kiosks in the area and these were how it looked like decades ago! A celebration of how The Moor shopping area developed, survived and going to be revived!
Address: The Moor, City Centre
Phone: 0114 2490 290
More Reviews (24)
spidermiss' Related Pages
Sheffield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sheffield, It's not so grim Ooop North!"
- "Sheffield "More than just a city of steel""
- "Sunny Sheffield"
- "Sheffield, South Yorkshire"
- "The Socialist republic of South Yorkshire."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sheffield
- Hotels in Sheffield
- Transportation in Sheffield
- Nightlife in Sheffield
- Restaurants in Sheffield
- Shopping in Sheffield
- Warnings and Dangers in Sheffield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sheffield
- 26 Reviews
- 116 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Sheffield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sheffield
Photos in SheffieldSee All Photos (116)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 190 reviews, 794 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 148 reviews, 739 photos, 32 travelogues
- York Intro, 72 reviews, 271 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 50 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 26 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Peace Gardens- 5 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Cholera Monument- 3 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Winter Garden- 5 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Meadowhall Shopping Centre- 5 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Crucible Theatre- 2 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Matlock Bath- 4 Reviews, 4 Photos
- City Hall- 4 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Millennium Square- 2 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Chatsworth House- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Cathedral- 2 Reviews, 10 Photos
See All Sheffield Things to Do