"Sheffield" Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield by spidermiss

Sheffield Travel Guide: 486 reviews and 1,504 photos

More than a City of Steel!

I've been to Sheffield a number of times mainly to visit Meadowhall for shopping; watch the athletics at Don Valley Stadium; see a concert or event at the Motorpoint Arena; to make a rare trip into the city centre and see a show at The Lyceum and also to enjoy the leisure pool and water flumes at Ponds Forge International Sports centre.

Until recently, I felt I hadn't given the city centre much justice as I was put off by the tiredness the city appeared to have had. I remember being in Sheffield with work for the day and found the city somewhat depressing and felt it needed a lot of new investment. Following an extensive regeneration programme the city had, I decided to return to explore the city centre with an open mind and learn more about the city of steel! I've had some memorable visits and exploring the fruits of the regeneration along with the important historical links Sheffield has. I look forward to returning again and check out the city's night life!

Please check out Sue's accountof our first informal VT meet in this wonderful city!

• Pros:A Regenerated and Rejuvenated City!
  • Cons:Meadowhall is deterring visitors to the City Centre!
  • In a nutshell:It's more than steel!
  • Last visit to Sheffield: Apr 2011
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2011

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Great page - it's always good to see an underated destination featured on VT. And you have some super photos - love the black and white images :-) I was impressed at how many public spaces there are here, and it was interesting to read about Park Hill Flats too

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
      Sep 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I'm very impressed with Sheffield and can't wait to return! I was truly impressed with the city's regeneration:D

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Great page, Dawn, with some lovely photos! Gillybob greetings

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2011 at 4:13 AM

Among the concrete and steel, Sheffield sure has some nice gardens and greenery.

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Wow! You didn't waste any time getting pics on here! Looking forward to reading your tips.

spidermiss Visits Here Frequently!

spidermiss

“Seeing the World via Theatre!”

Badges & Stats in Sheffield

Have you been to Sheffield?

Latest Activity in Sheffield