"The Administrative Centre for West Yorkshire" Wakefield by spidermiss
Wakefield Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 184 photos
Wakefield is the the administrative centre for West Yorkshire where all the public services headquarters for the county are based. I have made many visits to Wakefield as it's only 12 miles from Leeds, where I live.
Wakefield, over the centuries, became a key market town and a wool centre with its inland port on the River Calder for its transportation of goods. Since the Industrial Revolution Wakefield thrived as a industrial and trading town with its coal, wool and grain but steadily declined in the 1970s and 1980s and today the trade more service focused.
Visits including a visit to the Nostell Priory and Parklands in April and July 2011. I Made trips to the Chantry, Hepworth Gallery during 2013 and 2014 and recently had a day exploring Wakefield City Centre including a visit to the Cathedral.
I visited Newmillerdam Country Park, south of the city, in August 2015.
- Pros:Love the Hepworth Gallery!
- Cons:A city often overlooked on the M1!
- In a nutshell:Hepworth Gallery is the jewel of the city!
I made an afternoon trip to Anglers Country Park in Wintersett, south east of Wakefield. The lake is the main attraction... more travel advice
My friend and I went to see a play in Wakefield in 2014 and we travelled by train. I can't recall how much we paid for... more travel advice
spidermiss' Related Pages
Wakefield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "YOUR VISIT HAS EARNED YOU A FREE DRINK!"
- "The Administrative Centre for West Yorkshire"
- "Wonderful Wakefield!"
- "Wakefield,The Merrie City"
- "Wakefield's Finest"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wakefield
- Hotels in Wakefield
- Transportation in Wakefield
- Nightlife in Wakefield
- Restaurants in Wakefield
- Shopping in Wakefield
- Warnings and Dangers in Wakefield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wakefield
- 14 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Wakefield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wakefield
Photos in WakefieldSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 190 reviews, 794 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 148 reviews, 739 photos, 32 travelogues
- York Intro, 72 reviews, 271 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 50 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 26 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues