"The Administrative Centre for West Yorkshire" Wakefield by spidermiss
Wakefield Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 184 photos
Wakefield is the the administrative centre for West Yorkshire where all the public services headquarters for the county are based. I have made many visits to Wakefield as it's only 12 miles from Leeds, where I live.
Wakefield, over the centuries, became a key market town and a wool centre with its inland port on the River Calder for its transportation of goods. Since the Industrial Revolution Wakefield thrived as a industrial and trading town with its coal, wool and grain but steadily declined in the 1970s and 1980s and today the trade more service focused.
Visits including a visit to the Nostell Priory and Parklands in April and July 2011. I Made trips to the Chantry, Hepworth Gallery during 2013 and 2014 and also had a day exploring Wakefield City Centre including a visit to the Cathedral.
I love Wakefield and its districts for its country parks and have had some pleasant times there and you can check out and rate the tips I made on my visits!
- Pros:Love the Hepworth Gallery!
- Cons:A city often overlooked on the M1!
- In a nutshell:Hepworth Gallery is the jewel of the city!
I had an invigorating walk around Walton Colliery Nature Park which was originally the site of Walton Colliery. It's... more travel advice
This medieval castle was built in the 12th Century and established by the Warenne family. Firstly it was built in wood... more travel advice
spidermiss' Related Pages
Wakefield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "YOUR VISIT HAS EARNED YOU A FREE DRINK!"
- "The Administrative Centre for West Yorkshire"
- "Wonderful Wakefield!"
- "Wakefield,The Merrie City"
- "Wakefield's Finest"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wakefield
- Hotels in Wakefield
- Transportation in Wakefield
- Nightlife in Wakefield
- Restaurants in Wakefield
- Shopping in Wakefield
- Warnings and Dangers in Wakefield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wakefield
- 18 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Wakefield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wakefield
- Wrote a Review Walton Colliery Nature Park in Wakefield Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Walton Colliery Nature Park"
- updated a Wakefield Travel Page "The Administrative Centre for West Yorkshire"
- Commented on one of spidermiss's Wakefield tips
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Overnight acommodation at..."
Photos in WakefieldSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 190 reviews, 794 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 148 reviews, 739 photos, 32 travelogues
- York Intro, 72 reviews, 271 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 50 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 26 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues