"A Market Town in North East Leeds" Wetherby by spidermiss
Wetherby Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 70 photos
Wetherby is a historic market town situated in North East Leeds and on the banks of the River Wharfe. It began originally as staging post for travellers and subsequently developed into a busy market town.
The town is a regular winner of the 'Yorkshire in Bloom' competition and the colour flowerbeds are noted around the town centre.
Wetherby played a historic role as the town was situated half way on the Old Great North Road between London and Edinburgh. It was an important stage post for coach travellers and they would often stay over int the town. As well as the coaching history there are historic links with the Devonshire family, The Knights Templar and the Romantic artist, J.M.W. Turner.
I've been to Wetherby many times over the years and I've always enjoyed pottering around the River Wharfe and appreciating the town's history. There is a lot to see and do there whether its shopping, people watching at cafes/restaurants or strolling along the river.
There are weekly and monthly markets held in the town centre. Wetherby has a popular horse racing course and a number of fixtures are held throughout the year.
It's easy to get to the town centre for its close proximity to the A1M which links to the rest of the country.
Here are some useful websites (click on the links) about Wetherby:
Wetherby - A Floral Town with a Difference
Welcome to Yorkshire
- Pros:A Market Town with a lot of historic links!
- Cons:The town centre's traffic is an issue!
- In a nutshell:Lovely historic town with the River Wharfe!
I fancied doing something different on Sunday afternoon so I opted doing Nordic Cross Country Skiing at Stockeld Park's... more travel advice
On another trip to Wetherby and after some exploring, I popped into the town's Costa where I had an Iced Americano and... more travel advice
spidermiss' Related Pages
Wetherby Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Wetherby
- 14 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Wetherby?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wetherby
Photos in WetherbySee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 190 reviews, 794 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 148 reviews, 739 photos, 32 travelogues
- York Intro, 72 reviews, 271 photos, 4 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 50 reviews, 257 photos, 10 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 33 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 26 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues