"Barwick Green!" Barwick in Elmet by spidermiss
Barwick in Elmet Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 15 photos
This East Leeds village is associated with the ancient Celtic kingdom of Elmet and was known either as Berewit or Berewith in the Domesday Book of 1086. The village goes back further as 200-600 BC because of the earthworks (with an iron age fort) in the village suggests are the oldest settlements in the vicinity.
The village has links to the Gascoigne family, archaeological and historical links and infamous for its trienniel maypole festival.
I spent an afternoon exploring this interesting village.
Here are some useful websites about Barwick-in-Elmet:
Barwick and Scholes Parish Council
Barwick Maypole Trust
- Pros:A nice East Leeds Village with interesting historical links!
- Cons:Couldn't think of any on my visit!
- In a nutshell:Maypole Dancing!
The 86 feet wooden maypole is one of Barwick's landmarks. The maypole is use for the village's trienniel maypole... more travel advice
This listed church goes back to Anglo Saxon and Norman eras. Since then the church has received additions and... more travel advice
spidermiss' Related Pages
Barwick in Elmet Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Barwick in Elmet
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Barwick in Elmet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barwick in Elmet
Photos in Barwick in ElmetSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 109 reviews, 517 photos, 19 travelogues
- London Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 7 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 46 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- York Intro, 35 reviews, 122 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 25 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bristol Intro, 25 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue