"Highlands" Highland by spidermiss
Highland Travel Guide: 1,648 reviews and 4,051 photos
My first encounter with the Scottish Highlands when a former friend and I booked a railways journey tour in September 1998. On the tour, we took three railway journeys within the Highlands. We were based in Strathpeffer, a village near Inverness, for five nights. On three of the days we took day trips on the train: Kyle of Lochalsh Railway from Dingwall to Kyle of Lochalsh (North West Highlands. It was stunning journey of the lakes and mountains. We even saw seals in the lake! We paid a visit to Isle of Skye); Mallaig to Fort William (Western Highlands. Great seeing the Isles as well as Ben Nevis) and also on a tourist train ride from Boat of Garten to Aviemore (Saw the Cairngorm mountains). As well as seeing amazing scenery we were blessed with 5 sunny days with blue skies! Seems a rarity in Scotland but the scenery could be rivaled to the many sights of the world when the weather is perfect!
I made a couple of trips to the Highlands during 2010
In January, I made a trip to West Highlands visiting Loch Lomond, Inveraray and Oban plus rode through some amazing scenery. Please click on the link to read about the trip I took.
In May, I made a trip to the Highlands visiting Glencoe, Great Glen region, Urquhart Castle and Loch Ness. Please click on the link to read about the trip I took.
I hope to return to the Highlands in the not too distant future.
- Pros:World Class Scenery!
- Cons:The weather can be unreliable!
- In a nutshell:Bens and Lochs!
The Great Glen follows geological fault 100km from Inverness to Fort William (It is known as the Great Glen Fault which... more travel advice
Glencoe is a Highland glen which is situated in the North West Highlands. It is considered one of the most stunning... more travel advice
spidermiss' Related Pages
Highland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My favorite part of Scotland"
- "A Journey Back Through Time"
- "From Argyll To Sutherland"
- "The Highlands - The true essence of Scotland"
- "On and Mostly Off the Road in the Highlands"
- "Highlands and Islands of Scotland"
- "The highlands - the true scotland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Highland
- Hotels in Highland
- Transportation in Highland
- Nightlife in Highland
- Restaurants in Highland
- Shopping in Highland
- Warnings and Dangers in Highland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Highland
- 7 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Highland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Highland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leeds Intro, 109 reviews, 517 photos, 19 travelogues
- London Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 7 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 46 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- York Intro, 35 reviews, 122 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 44 reviews, 112 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 34 reviews, 116 photos
- Bath Intro, 31 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 31 reviews, 106 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 25 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bristol Intro, 25 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
Top Highland hotels
- Inverness Hotels
- 329 Reviews - 731 Photos
- Fort William Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 372 Photos
- Aviemore Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 77 Photos
- Kingussie Hotels
- 17 Hotels
- Strathpeffer Hotels
- 8 Hotels
- Ullapool Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 279 Photos
- Isle of Skye Hotels
- 441 Reviews - 879 Photos
- Nairn Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 17 Photos
- Portree Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 19 Photos
- Loch Oich Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Durness Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 108 Photos
- Gairloch Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 35 Photos
- Dingwall Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 15 Photos
- Loch Katrine Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 33 Photos
- Strath Gairloch Hotels
- See nearby hotels