"Touring Fujinomiya" Fujinomiya by taigaa001
Fujinomiya Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 108 photos
There are four main trails to the summit of Mount Fuji. The most popular among them is Yoshida trail from Yananashi, about 180,000 climbers, and the second most popular trail is Fujinomiya trail about 79,000 climbers, the rest of the trails are far less climbers such as Subashiri(48,000) and Gotemba(less than 10,000) in 2010 season. Fujinomiya trail starts from fifth station(gogome) about 2,400 meters above sea level. One great thing about Fujinomiya trail is you can have a warm up hike to view Hoei craters. As you can see there is limited vegetation at 2,500 m or above area.
July 1 is the opening day of the Mount Fuji climbing. There are ceremonies and rituals to pray for the safety of climbers, prosperity and world peace. The photo is the ritual of opening day held at Murayama Sengen Shrine in Fujinomiya. It is the place the esoteric Buddhism tradition is still kept. Today, the ceremony has been supported by Shogoin Temple in Kyoto, one of the major Shugendo schools in Japan. Local junior high school students join the water ablution ceremony the ritual to purify the body and soul before climbing Mount Fuji. In Muraya area this has been a sort of coming-of-the-age ritual for the young boys.
Opening Day Rituals at Murayama Sengen Shrine will be introduced in details in either Local Customs or Travelogues.
Shiraito Waterfalls has been undergoing construction works so that visitors can safely tour around and get better landscape fit as World Heritage site now waiting approval. Until the construction works get finished the area is closed.
Home to Religious Headquarters
It's been about thirty years since I climbed Mt. Fuji from Fujinomiya Trail, fifth station, about 2,400 meters in elevation. Modern climbers may hardly believe that before the turnpike leading to such high elevation was developed, the pilgrimage climbers started the long climb from Fujinomiya Sengen Shrine in Fujinomiya. Some modern climbers who prefer shorter trail visit the shrine before climbing praying for the safe climb. Sengen Taisha Shrine in Fujinomiya is the headquarters of all of Sengen Shrines deifying Mt. Fuji as the object of worship. Now the shrine is a part of the properties for World Heritage waiting for approval this summer as Mount Fuji as the source of faith, art and culture.
Fujinomiya is also home to the headquarters of some sects of Nichiren Buddhism such as Kitayama Honmonji Temple and Daisekiji Temple.
Status: A part of both UNESCO World Cultural Heritage: Mount Fuji and Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park. National... more travel advice
There is an information office in Mount Fuji Fujinomiya Trail Fifth Station. The office has pamphlet on Fujinomiya Trail... more travel advice
taigaa001's Related Pages
Fujinomiya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Best View of Mt fuji"
- "Touring Fujinomiya"
- "Really Off the Beaten Path near Mt. Fuji Area"
- "Taseki-Ji near Fujinamia"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fujinomiya
- 14 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Fujinomiya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fujinomiya
- Posted in Travel Japan Forum "Re: Kumano kodo pilgrimage"
- Commented on one of taigaa001's Fujinomiya tips
- Wrote a Review Shiraito Waterfall in Fujinomiya Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mount Fuji General Information Office"
- updated a Fujinomiya Travel Page "Touring Fujinomiya"
- Uploaded a Video to Fujinomiya
Photos in FujinomiyaSee All Photos (52)
Videos in FujinomiyaSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagoya Intro, 67 reviews, 278 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shinjuku Intro, 76 reviews, 211 photos
- Fujieda Intro, 43 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Okabe Intro, 42 reviews, 160 photos
- Hamakita Intro, 36 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka Intro, 39 reviews, 128 photos
- Toyokawa Intro, 38 reviews, 124 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fukuroi Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamamatsu Intro, 30 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toyohashi Intro, 31 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue