"Fukuroi, 2012" Fukuroi by taigaa001

Fukuroi Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 159 photos

Hattasan Son'eiji temple

In my childhood days, going to Fukuroi meant to visit Hattasan in February.
Hattasan used to be my family's annual event in February driving from Fujieda to Fukuroi which took about one hour and the road to the temple was very narrow and winding. 30 years later much has been changed around there. Huge green tea plantation turned into a sports park and the road became much broader and this spurred the development around the lush green forest around Mount Ogasayama. You may find Hattasan a bit dissappointing because the temple area has much been commercialized too much. The only comfort you may find in that temple is its long pathway to the stairs leading to the Main Hall. When I went to the temple on September 29 I stayed there for only thirty minutes. I headed for Aino Park.

The blog about Hattasan
Fukuroi Adventure by Haikugirl's Japan

A Lot More to Explore

After I visited Hattasan I turned the wrong road. It turned out that the road I was walking leads back to Ogasayama Sports Park. I returned to the right road and it took about one hour walk to Aino Park. Aino Park is a nice park but not what I expected. It has nice views from the hilltop. As I was crossing the Koai Ohhashi Bridge I found a nice park stretched under the bridge but I had no idea how to get there. After finishing the bridge I found a pedestrian bridge linking to the park. It is one of the three most popular parks in Fukuroi. As I walked along the water garden area I found people enjoying raft-like playset on the pond. I visited all of three parks(Ogasayama Sports Park, Aino Park and Shinsui Park). But I love Shinsui Park best.

#Past Fukuroi Travels
Right In The Middle of Tokaido (February 2011)
Fukuroi used to be the 27th lodging station for Tokaido Road, that means it is right in the middle of Tokaido. Fukuroi's top destination is undoubtedly Hattasan, very old temple. Fukuroi's other popular destinations include ECOPA, huge sports arena and facility, Yusanji known by a nice three-storied pagoda and a Zen temple Kasuisai.

Hiking in Fukuroi 1
Youtube related to Fukuroi
Kaleo In Japan

The hiking trail starts from JR Fukuoi station....
1 Fukuroi Station...2 Kuno Joshi Castle 3 Yusanji Temple...4 Kasuisai...5 Fukuroi Station... The Trail is about 15 kilometers in length and takes about 4 hours to walk.

Youtube or webpages related to Kasuisai
Kaleo In Japan
Webpages related to Fiorentina, an Italian restaurant
A New Restaurant

Ogasayama Sports Park(ECOPA)

ECOPA stadium in Fukuroi is one of the venues for Soccar World Cup 2002. When you visit Ogasayama Sports Park you will find some monuments erected to commemorate that sport event. The park is also a good place for joggers, walkers, hikers, and even pet owners. The park has some nice lookouts that you can see the views of the mountains and with luck, Mt. Fuji.

The park was really huge, it took me about three hours strolling the walking trail to the lookout and back to ECOPA stadium. The map showed me that Hattasan is only 20 minutes walk away from ECOPA stadium but the walking trail #3 of Fukuroi goes through the route twice as long. The slope along the road was mild but it was sizzlingly hot and I must face a head wind. It was only 40 minutes walk from the stadium to Hattasan but to me it was dueling experience.

Next: Fukuroi trip: Early November Walking around Old Tokaido

• In a nutshell:The town for both sports fans and historical buffs
  • Last visit to Fukuroi: Aug 2012
  • Intro Updated Feb 3, 2014

• Rabbityama's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Great page! I enjoy learning about the legends and history of such places!

• taigaa001's Profile Photo
      Aug 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Thanks for the comment. Fukuroi has a lot more to explore. Someday I will visit Hattasan Soneiji temple.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Lovely three storied Pagoda, and I really enjoyed reading the legend's. Thanks for sharing!

taigaa001 Visits Here Frequently!

taigaa001

“Life is a highway”

Badges & Stats in Fukuroi

Have you been to Fukuroi?

Latest Activity in Fukuroi