"Sandwiched Between Mount Fuji and Hakone" Gotemba by taigaa001
Gotemba Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 85 photos
In Gotemba you can find sites related to past Mount Fuji eruptions. Komakado Cave(Komakado Kazaana, Komakado Fuketsu, et.al) is a lava cave formed by the lava flow called MISHIMA-YOGANRYU resulted from the eruption of Mount Fuji about 10,000 years ago. It is so named because the lava flow reached as far as Mishima.
Gotemba is located between Mount Fuji and Hakone volcano. It was located along the ancient highway, Ashigara-Kodo, public highway before it was taken over by newer Tokaido Highway. The nameplace Gotemba is said to have derived from the temporary housing for Iyeyasu Tokugawa's remains on the way to Nikko during early 17th century. After the Meiji Restoration, it became popular as the summer-retreat resort. At Ninooka and Higashiyama area, lots of European and American residents as well as Japanese politicians and celebrities built summertime villas. Some of the former villas are open to public such as Chichibunomya Memorial Park at the site of the villa of Prince Chichibunomiya, little brother of Emperor Hirohito. In 2009 former Kishi residence was open to public at Higashiyama Area. From Gotemba you can see both Mount Fuji and Hakone outer-rim peaks. Particularly the view of Mount Kintoki is outstanding. Gotemba is also a start of Mount Fuji climb. Gotemba-guchi starts from 1450 meters above sea level and it is a lot more challenging than climbing from either Fujinomiya or Yoshidaguchi starts. The top photo is Mount Kintoki(far-left craggy peak), 1215m above sea level viewed from Gotemba Premioum Outlets.
Webpages about Gotemba
Places to Visit in Gotemba
Tokino Sumika is a resort complex with some spas, hotels and restaurants including Gotemba Kogen Beer also known as... more travel advice
Alternate names: Komakado Kazaana, Komakado Fuketsu, Komakado Kazaana Cave Komakado Cave is what volcanologists call a... more travel advice
taigaa001's Related Pages
Gotemba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sandwiched Between Mount Fuji and Hakone"
- "Less known base for Fuji contemplation"
- "Premium Outlet next to Fujiyama"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gotemba
- 18 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Gotemba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gotemba
Photos in GotembaSee All Photos (72)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagoya Intro, 62 reviews, 259 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shinjuku Intro, 72 reviews, 201 photos
- Okabe Intro, 42 reviews, 160 photos
- Fujieda Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hamakita Intro, 36 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka Intro, 39 reviews, 128 photos
- Fukuroi Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toyokawa Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamamatsu Intro, 30 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toyohashi Intro, 29 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue