"Kamakura" Kamakura by taigaa001
Kamakura Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 473 photos
A: Ofuna Kannon
The range of Kamakura depends on who you are talking to. Although Ofuna is located in Kamakura city, many see as a part of greater Yokohama. There is no need to explain why Ofuna has been given special attention. Ofuna Kannon is really impressive even from Ofuna station.
B: Kanazawa Bunko and Kanazawa Hakkei(Yokohama), Sankeien Garden(Yokohama)
These southern parts of Yokohama areas are recognized by some as extention of Kamakura partly because of their geographical proximity to Kamakura. Historically Kanazawa area used to be a part of Kamakura as one of the port towns.
In organized tours by some tour operators Sankeien Garden is often the stopover after visiting Kamakura.
I've been to Kamakura three times but only been to the central area once. When I last went there in late 80s I enjoyed hiking around Kamakura hill area. I would like to go there again if I had a chance...
There are so many places of interests in Kamakura. For starters, I recommend three major trails to get to know Kamakura better.
1 Kanazawa Kaido (Kanazawa Road)
Kanazawa road is a highway from Kamakura to Kanazawa area of Yokohama(southernmost area of Yokohama). The trail starts from Tsurugaoka Hachimangu shrine one of the busiest parts of Kamakura to the northeastern rustic area of Kamakura.
Webpages on Kamakura
A Guide To Kamakura
Next Kamakura trip...July Kanazawa Road
One of the most popular routes of Kamakura because the trail includes the great Buddha of Kotokuin Temple.
3. Kita Kamakura Trail
This route has some major Zen temples in Kamakura such as Kenchoji and Engakuji temples.
- Pros:Traditional Town
- Cons:Expensive Lunch, Limited Spaces To Park
- In a nutshell:The Town of Samurai and Zen Culture
Kamakura and Sankeien in Yokohama is often toured together if you are in an organized group tour. But when you travel... more travel advice
When you travel Kamakura you may find something related to comics based in Kamakura, Kamakura Monogatari. It's a... more travel advice
taigaa001's Related Pages
Kamakura Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KAMAKURA - A blissful escape from hectic Tokyo!!"
- "Kamakura - Old Military Capital"
- "Smaller than Kyoto but just as grand"
- "THE GREAT BUDDHA, ( DAIBUTSU )"
- "Kamakura - The Great Buddha"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kamakura
- Hotels in Kamakura
- Transportation in Kamakura
- Restaurants in Kamakura
- Shopping in Kamakura
- Warnings and Dangers in Kamakura
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kamakura
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Kamakura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kamakura
Photos in KamakuraSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagoya Intro, 62 reviews, 259 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shinjuku Intro, 70 reviews, 198 photos
- Okabe Intro, 42 reviews, 160 photos
- Hamakita Intro, 36 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fujieda Intro, 34 reviews, 143 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fukuroi Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toyokawa Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamamatsu Intro, 30 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- Toyohashi Intro, 29 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue