"Mishima, Yamanaka castle, Susono and Kannami" Mishima by taigaa001
Mishima Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 108 photos
When Mount Fuji erupted about 10,000 years ago, the lava flow reached as far as Mishima. In Mishima you can find some of the remnants of Mishima Flow. Near the east gate of Rakujuen Garden you can find a mound created by the Mishima Lava Flow. Mishama Lava Flow is one of the reason why Mishama is called the town of springs.
Yamanaka Castle, also referred to as Fort Yamanaka, is more like a manicured garden than a fortress. This castle has no keeps nor yaguras. Networks of shojibori structure, work of dry-moat art, captivate even visitors who are not particularly fans of Japanese castles. In short there are no castles like this one in Japan and anywhere around the world.
Yamanaka Castle Ruins is a lot larger than you imagine. It takes about two hours to see every parts of the fort. The well-known shoji bori, or sliding-shoji-door styled dry moat structure is located at the upper hill part of the castle ruins. The lower-hill part of the castle is a fortress with amazing dry-moat structure. Tokaido highway runs across the castle dividing upper and lower parts of the fort.
Webpages about Yamanaka Castle(Fort)
Castlefan's Photo Library--Yamanaka Castle
Mishima...Gateway To Izu Peninsula
Hop in to Izu Hakone Sunzu line from Mishima. Shuzenji Onsen, a popular spa resort, is only 30 minutes away.
Youtube on Izu Hakone Sunzu Line
Traincar views between Izunagaoka and Ohito(Japanese clip)
Today I tried one of the most difficult segment of Tokaido Trail, a part of "Hakone 32-kilometer-trail". After reaching Mishima station I soon changed trains to Izu-Hakone Sunzu Line, a railway line connecting Mishima and Shuzenji. I took off at Mishimahirokoji Station only the next station. But 130 yen train fee paid off because this station is located at the current Tokaido street named "Hirokoji Street". After about three hours walk from the station I could reach Today's destination Yamanaka Castle.
Get The Tokaido Map On Line!
Get Mishima Map Online
- Pros:Water Town with nice places for strolls
- Cons:Very local town
- In a nutshell:Nice local town with clean water
Getting to Gotemba Tip: There is a direct bus service from Mishima Station to... more travel advice
Komoike park is another nice park with the spring water of Mount Fuji about two hundred meters north of Shirataki Park.... more travel advice
taigaa001's Related Pages
Mishima Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Water in Fujis Shadow"
- "Mishima, Yamanaka castle, Susono and Kannami"
- "MISHIMA in spring"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mishima
- Transportation in Mishima
- Nightlife in Mishima
- Warnings and Dangers in Mishima
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mishima
- 16 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Mishima?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mishima
- updated a Mishima Travel Page "Mishima, Yamanaka castle, Susono and Kannami"
- Posted in Travel Sapporo Forum "Re: Hokkaido Jingu"
- Wrote a Review Getting to Toki-no-Sumika from Mishima in Mishima Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Getting to Toki-no-Sumika from Mishima"
- Commented on one of chodearm's Mishima travel pages
Photos in MishimaSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Yokohama Intro, 150 reviews, 468 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagoya Intro, 90 reviews, 357 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamamatsu Intro, 67 reviews, 236 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shinjuku Intro, 77 reviews, 214 photos
- Fujieda Intro, 50 reviews, 189 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka Intro, 48 reviews, 160 photos
- Okabe Intro, 42 reviews, 160 photos
- Hamakita Intro, 36 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toyokawa Intro, 39 reviews, 127 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fukuroi Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue