"Mishima, Yamanaka castle, Susono and Kannami" Mishima by taigaa001
Mishima Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 107 photos
When Mount Fuji erupted about 10,000 years ago, the lava flow reached as far as Mishima. In Mishima you can find some of the remnants of Mishima Flow. Near the east gate of Rakujuen Garden you can find a mound created by the Mishima Lava Flow. Mishama Lava Flow is one of the reason why Mishama is called the town of springs.
Yamanaka Castle, also referred to as Fort Yamanaka, is more like a manicured garden than a fortress. This castle has no keeps nor yaguras. Networks of shojibori structure, work of dry-moat art, captivate even visitors who are not particularly fans of Japanese castles. In short there are no castles like this one in Japan and anywhere around the world.
Yamanaka Castle Ruins is a lot larger than you imagine. It takes about two hours to see every parts of the fort. The well-known shoji bori, or sliding-shoji-door styled dry moat structure is located at the upper hill part of the castle ruins. The lower-hill part of the castle is a fortress with amazing dry-moat structure. Tokaido highway runs across the castle dividing upper and lower parts of the fort.
Webpages about Yamanaka Castle(Fort)
Castlefan's Photo Library--Yamanaka Castle
Mishima...Gateway To Izu Peninsula
Hop in to Izu Hakone Sunzu line from Mishima. Shuzenji Onsen, a popular spa resort, is only 30 minutes away.
Youtube on Izu Hakone Sunzu Line
Traincar views between Izunagaoka and Ohito(Japanese clip)
Today I tried one of the most difficult segment of Tokaido Trail, a part of "Hakone 32-kilometer-trail". After reaching Mishima station I soon changed trains to Izu-Hakone Sunzu Line, a railway line connecting Mishima and Shuzenji. I took off at Mishimahirokoji Station only the next station. But 130 yen train fee paid off because this station is located at the current Tokaido street named "Hirokoji Street". After about three hours walk from the station I could reach Today's destination Yamanaka Castle.
Get The Tokaido Map On Line!
Get Mishima Map Online
- Pros:Water Town with nice places for strolls
- Cons:Very local town
- In a nutshell:Nice local town with clean water
Tokino Sumika in Gotemba has a bus service to Mishima Station which is very convenient for residents in Kanto areas of... more travel advice
Shirataki Park about fifty meters south of Lava Mound in the middle of the city is known by the park of water springs... more travel advice
taigaa001's Related Pages
Mishima Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Water in Fujis Shadow"
- "Mishima, Yamanaka castle, Susono and Kannami"
- "MISHIMA in spring"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mishima
- Transportation in Mishima
- Nightlife in Mishima
- Warnings and Dangers in Mishima
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mishima
- 15 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Mishima?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mishima
- Posted in Travel Japan Forum "Re: Kumano kodo pilgrimage"
- Wrote a Review Bus Line Between Tokino Sumika and Mishima Station in Mishima Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bus Line Between Tokino Sumika and Mishima Station"
- updated a Mishima Travel Page "Mishima, Yamanaka castle, Susono and Kannami"
- Commented on one of chodearm's Mishima travel pages
Photos in MishimaSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagoya Intro, 67 reviews, 278 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shinjuku Intro, 76 reviews, 211 photos
- Fujieda Intro, 43 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Okabe Intro, 42 reviews, 160 photos
- Hamakita Intro, 36 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka Intro, 39 reviews, 128 photos
- Toyokawa Intro, 38 reviews, 124 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fukuroi Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamamatsu Intro, 30 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toyohashi Intro, 31 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue