"Odawara Gateway to Hakone" Odawara by taigaa001
Odawara Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 81 photos
When you are looking for some place with castle ruins with a donjon, Odawara castle in Odawara only about 90 minutes Odakyu Train ride away from Shinjuku is often recommended. When I went to the castle about 20 years ago it is just a huge park with a donjon. But recently, more gates are reconstructed and it is more fitting place to learn about what a Japanese castle is. When I went to the park on May 3, 2013, the park was full of visitors to enjoy Hojo Godai Matsuri featuring the parade of people wearing costumes of samurai warriors and ladies and princesses. There are also events on ninja performances.
The photo is taken from the gallery inside the Tokiwagi Gate of Odawara Castle. Tokiwagi gate is the gate defending the Honmaru area of the castle where the main keep(donjon) is located. You need to pay entrance fee to see this view but it is worth it.
Odawara Castle Park has a children's playground for little children. A toy train line is the most popular attraction of the kiddie park. The park also keeps Japanese Marque as the remainer of a zoo.
Odawara Castle Tip: Umadashimon Gate is the official gate to the Odawara Castle extending from Meganebashi Bridge. It... more travel advice
Odawara Castle Tip: Mud Bridge nicknamed as Meganebashi Bridge used to be the bridge leading to Umadashimon Gate of the... more travel advice
taigaa001's Related Pages
Odawara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ODAWARA CITY in the spring"
- "Odawara Gateway to Hakone"
- "Castle Town"
- "trippingstonefree odawara"
- "Don't miss Odawara if you're going to Hakone"
- "Odawara, Kanagawa, JAPAN"
- "Odawara, JP"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Odawara
- Transportation in Odawara
- Restaurants in Odawara
- Shopping in Odawara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Odawara
- 16 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Odawara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Odawara
Photos in OdawaraSee All Photos (56)
Videos in OdawaraSee All Videos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagoya Intro, 62 reviews, 259 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shinjuku Intro, 73 reviews, 206 photos
- Okabe Intro, 42 reviews, 160 photos
- Fujieda Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hamakita Intro, 36 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka Intro, 39 reviews, 128 photos
- Fukuroi Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toyokawa Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamamatsu Intro, 30 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toyohashi Intro, 31 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue