"Setagaya-ku and Jiyugaoka, Tokyo" Setagaya by taigaa001
Setagaya Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 93 photos
Shimokitazawa is a popular town area not far from Shinjuku particularly among young people and Chinese tourists. I still don't get what the fuss is about. I dropped by for an hour and strolled. I can see there are some secondhand clothes shops and cafes. Next time I will explore more about this town.
Setagaya-ku is one of the twenty three wards of Tokyo. It is home to about 880,000 residents and is the second largest ward in area(58.08 sq kilometers).
The area is recognized as residential area and not particularly a part of sightseeing circuits. But Setagaya-ku is one of my favorite places in Tokyo because of its quiet and peaceful atmosphere. There are a number of places for VT members who favor "off-the-beaten-path" category such as Gotokuji Temple, Kuhonbutsu Joshinji Temple and Karasuyama Teramachi area. Setagaya Rag Market which is called "Boroichi" in mid December and mid January is one of the most popular events in Setagaya.
Popular shopping areas for Setagaya residents and visitors include Futago-Tamagawa, Sanganjaya, Shimokitazawa and Jiyugaoka which is also known as the town of sweets and furniture.
The webblogs about Setagaya-ku
Old Japanese stories-the real Maneki Neko-- Muza chan's Gate To Japan
Brett's Tokyo Travel Log: Setagaya
Japan Times: From Rags to Riches
Cycling Tourism: Shoin Shrine and Grave of Naosuke Ii
EuroCatFancy: Japanese Bobtail
Miyako's Travels: Setagaya Rag Market
The webpages about Jiyugaoka
Tokyo Work Life: Jiyugaoka
The webpages about Kuhonbutsu Joshinji temple
Kuhonbutsu and Okusawa Shrine(Japanese)
The webpages about Karasuyama-Teramachi
JapanTravelGuide: Karasuyama Teramachi
Coming Setagaya Trips:
Summertime Visit to Roka Park
When I visited Gotokuji temple on fourth of December, the temple was full of photographers because of autumn leaves.
Gotokuji, a Sotoshu zen temple which also has Ii Family cemetery (including that of Naosuke Ii), has been gaining attention as a birthplace of lucky cats or beckoning cats. Three-storied pagoda was recently built in 2006. Lucky cats sold around Gotokuji are produced in Seto, Aichi, Tokoname's archrival for Manekineko(Lucky cats) production. Lucky Cats produced in Seto is closer to its original style. Tokoname cats hold gold koban coin(s) while Seto cats do not. It is because Seto cats are designed to denote Ii clan's family philosophy that good luck gives you opportunity and it is up to thyself who makes the most of it. There are a number of places to visit around Gotokuji temple. Setagaya castle ruins and Daikan Yashiki(Magistrate's residence) and Shoin Shrine are popular among historical buffs.
Shopping in Shimokitazawa Tip: Shimokitazawa is noted for some fancy secondhand clothes shops and Stick Out at the south... more travel advice
Setagaya Line is short(5 kilometers in length) and slow commuter train between Sanganjaya and Shimotakaido, also a... more travel advice
taigaa001's Related Pages
Setagaya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Setagaya-ku and Jiyugaoka, Tokyo"
- "Setagaya - One week-homestay with Japanese Family"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Setagaya
- Transportation in Setagaya
- Restaurants in Setagaya
- Shopping in Setagaya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Setagaya
- 15 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Setagaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Setagaya
- Posted in Travel Aichi-ken Forum "Re: area 51 and pacific blue club..."
- Wrote a Review Used Brand Items 700-yen for Each in Setagaya Shopping
- updated a Setagaya Travel Page "Setagaya-ku and Jiyugaoka, Tokyo"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Shimokitazawa: Overview"
- Commented on one of jenfriend's Setagaya travel pages
Photos in SetagayaSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagoya Intro, 62 reviews, 259 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shinjuku Intro, 70 reviews, 198 photos
- Okabe Intro, 42 reviews, 160 photos
- Hamakita Intro, 36 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fujieda Intro, 34 reviews, 143 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fukuroi Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toyokawa Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamamatsu Intro, 30 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos
- Toyohashi Intro, 29 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue