"Shimada and Oi River" Shimada by taigaa001
Shimada Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 116 photos
At Shimada Obi Festival, grand festival once every three years, small children aged between four to six perform dance based on Nagauta music on Yatai stage. They are really adorable and elegant. Monday, tomorrow is the last day of the event.
Chimanji is a 1240-year-old Buddhist temple about 10 kilometers north of downtown Shimada. This temple is best known by its Main Hall with thatched roof and 10 huge cedar trees about 800 to 1200 years old.
#3 photo is called Yoritomo Sugi, which is the easiest to find among Ten Tall Cedar Trees of Chimanji. This one is located close to Yakushido building. It is said that the cedar tree was planted by Minamotono Yoritomo. The name Chibasan came from the fact that the temple was refurbished during late 12th century by Chiba Tsunetane, known as the lord of Chiba by the order of Yoritomo. The research by the Environment Ministry, however, confirmed the tree is at least 300 years old and some say Yoritomo Sugi we now see is the second generation.
Most of the buildings of Chimanji temple are said to have been rebuilt by the order of Iyeyasu Tokugawa. Thatched-roof houses represent Japanese artistic beauty of "Wabi and Sabi".
The summit of Mt. Chiba, 496 meters in elevation, where the most of the tall cedar trees are located is about 15 minutes walk from the temple's main hall. Mt. Chiba area is also rich in wildlife and its vicinity areas are set aside as Wildlife Preserve where unauthorized hunting of wild animals is prohibited. When I went to the temple on 9th of July this year, Main Hall has been being reroofed. It will be finished around next February. Although the summit area is a bit cooler than the city area summertime climbing may not be a great idea unless you are a birdwatcher. Best season for Mt. Chiba hike is from October though April.
Blogs about Chimanji Temple
Chimanji (???) Temple in Shimada city
Webblogs about Horaibashi Bridge and Oi river
Bukisa: 15 World's Notable Bridges: Architectural and Engineering Feats
Next Shimada Trip, In October. Visiting Suspension Bridge of Shiogo.(In Shimada's neighbor Kawane-honcho)
Shimada is also a base for the Oi river trip. Oigawa Line running along the Oi river is known by the operation of Locomotive trains and secondhand train cars originally from the railline elsewhere in Japan. Oigawa line area is also popular among suspension bridge fans. Dozens of suspension bridges each of which has appeal of its own right.
Ishidatami Chaya Tea House is a cafe in traditional style Japanese house with a minor museum. It is situated at the... more travel advice
When you are walking along the Japanese garden of Ocha No Sato Museum, you may find a stone lantern the lower part of... more travel advice
taigaa001's Related Pages
Shimada Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Shimada
- 18 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Shimada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shimada
- Posted in Travel Japan Forum "Re: 8 Days in Japan:..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ieyama Overview"
- Wrote a Review A cafe and a small museum at the Kanaya Slope in Shimada Shopping
- Commented on one of taigaa001's Shimada tips
- updated a Shimada Travelogue "Shimada September 18, 2011 III"
- Uploaded a Video to Shimada
Photos in ShimadaSee All Photos (79)
Videos in ShimadaSee All Videos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Yokohama Intro, 147 reviews, 462 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagoya Intro, 90 reviews, 357 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamamatsu Intro, 67 reviews, 236 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shinjuku Intro, 77 reviews, 214 photos
- Fujieda Intro, 50 reviews, 189 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka Intro, 48 reviews, 160 photos
- Okabe Intro, 42 reviews, 160 photos
- Hamakita Intro, 36 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toyokawa Intro, 39 reviews, 127 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fukuroi Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue