"Expanded Shizuoka Touring Tips" Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka by taigaa001
Shizuoka Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 272 photos
I could only get to see the event on the first day on November 1, 2013, the opening day of the Daidogei World Cup. Not all the sites were filled but I could see some nice performance. I hope some other Vters fill the report for the rest of the days. Daidogei World Cup will be held until Monday November 4.
Photo Taken at Tsutano Hosomichi (Okabe side) on January 2, 2012
The photo is Nekoishi(Cat Rock) on the Tsutano Hosomichi Trail, the official highway passing Utsunoya between 8th to 16th century. It is a mysterious rock which has aroused heated discussion among old highway hikers on how can this be called Cat Rock at all because at first glance it doesn't look like one. Can you find a cat in that rock? Nekoishi became popular during Edo Period through Kabuki plays and Kuniyoshi's Tokaido Woodblock painting. It is based on the horror story of a monster cat which ate humans and after the cat died it turned to the rock. When the weir was constructed along the nearby river the "head" part was cut down. But the rock escaped the entire demolition because the workers feared the curse of the cat soul. Today, however, surprisingly cat figure began to emerge with lying down posture with the head around the board. Some scholars argue, however, this rock is actually an iwakura, a huge rock upon which god descend from heaven, according to ancient Shinto belief. Around the rock it used to stand an old shrine and this place seemed to have been sacred place for ancient people.
Utsunoya Pass Walk: Four Tunnels, Five Trails
When I first went to Meiji tunnel about thirty years ago, it was merely a dark and ghostly old tunnel. Recently tunnel lamps were set up and the tunnel became a tourist attraction for Tokaido walkers.
Video about Meiji Tunnel
Sunpu(Shizuoka) Castle and Momijiyama Garden
Today on October 23rd, I went to Sunpu Park, formerly a castle. Today, there is not a donjon at the park, but recently East Gate and Tatumi Tower were reconstructed and another tower will also be reconstructed in a fiew years. The top photo is Momijiyama Garden, typical feudal lord's landscape garden. The garden, which was created in 2001 are designed to showcase the scenic spots in Shizuoka Prefecture including Mt. Fuji, Miho Pine Grove, Hakone Stone Pavement, Izu Peninsula, Kano River, and Abe River. The pebbled bar on the photo denotes Miho Pine Grove.
Shizuoka Prefectural Museum of Art
The park area surrounding Shizuoka Prefectural Museum of Art and Prefectural Library is my #1 favorite place in Shizuoka. I've been to the museum a number of times and been struck by the quality of the exhibits. Surrounding park area is great as well. I love the view from the lookout behind Rodin Wing of the museum.
Former Shizuoka City, Suruga-ku and Aoi-ku
Recently Shizuoka engulfed former Shimizu area as well as Yui, Kambara areas. It is confusing development and Shizuoka expanded a great deal.
On my Shizuoka page I will divide this into three parts. 1 Original Shizuoka Area 2 Former Shimizu, Yui, Kambara area. 3 Mountain regions. By combining the former Shimizu, Yui and Kambara area this city now has 1,411.00 square kilometers in area, the fifth largest in Japan and about two third of Tokyo Metropolitan area.
Shizuoka town area has a lot of nice places to visit. Including Toshogu Shrine, Sengen Shrine, Toro Ruins, Nihondaira Plateau, Sumpu castle ruin and Shizuoka Prefectural Museum of Art having a huge park area.
The greater Shizuoka area encompasses former Shimizu, Yui and Kambara areas. Recently added areas have lots of tourist attractions including Mihono-Matsubara Coast, Seikenji temple and Sattatoge Route. Mountain area of Okitsu is a nice place to fish and enjoy camping, hiking and bike-touring.
Shimizu Forest Park, about 10 kilmeters north of Okitsu-juku area, is a nice place to relax with a day-trip spa, biotopes, hiking trails.
Also see Okitsu travel page for details.
There are a lot of Japanese green tea cultivars but Yabukita is by far the most popular. It occupies almost 80 percent... more travel advice
Kusanagi station is the next station west of SHIMIZU and two stops east of SHIZUOKA station of Tokaido Main Line... more travel advice
taigaa001's Related Pages
Shizuoka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MOUNT FUJI STATE"
- "Expanded Shizuoka Touring Tips"
- "My birthplace, the Prefecture of Shizuoka"
- "Swiss_Yalcin's new Shizuoka Page"
- "GOTEMBA CITY, SHIZUOKA PREFECTURE"
- "The Mt Fuji from high way bus view"
- "Shizuoka ?@?Ã‰ª"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shizuoka
- Hotels in Shizuoka
- Transportation in Shizuoka
- Restaurants in Shizuoka
- Shopping in Shizuoka
- Warnings and Dangers in Shizuoka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shizuoka
- 39 Reviews
- 128 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Shizuoka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shizuoka
- Posted in Travel Kumamoto Forum "Re: toddlerfriendly places in..."
- Commented on one of taigaa001's Shizuoka tips
- Wrote a Review The First Tea Plant of Yabukita Cultivar in Shizuoka Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hyotanzuka Kofun, 1500-year-old Burial Mound"
- updated a Shizuoka Travel Page "Expanded Shizuoka Touring Tips"
- Uploaded a Video to Shizuoka
Photos in ShizuokaSee All Photos (128)
Videos in ShizuokaSee All Videos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagoya Intro, 62 reviews, 259 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shinjuku Intro, 72 reviews, 201 photos
- Okabe Intro, 42 reviews, 160 photos
- Fujieda Intro, 37 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hamakita Intro, 36 reviews, 145 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka Intro, 39 reviews, 128 photos
- Fukuroi Intro, 34 reviews, 122 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toyokawa Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamamatsu Intro, 30 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toyohashi Intro, 29 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue