"Colombo" Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo by anilpradhanshillong

Colombo Travel Guide: 489 reviews and 1,362 photos

Touchdown - Colombo

The touchdown was perfect and in that instant, I knew that my holiday would be perfect. Strange, when you can predict the future once in a blue moon and it unfolds exactly as you had always wanted it to be. As the aircraft taxied to a halt at the Bandaranaike International Airport at Colombo, the intercom welcomed all of us and went on to add that the temperature outside was a pleasant 27 degrees Celsius, a delicious climb from the 10 or 11 degree Celsius of cold, foggy, muggy Delhi.

The tour operator had been true to her word. There was somebody holding up a placard bearing my name. Very reassuring, more so in a foreign country. Before leaving the airport, I changed my dollars to Sri Lankan currency (LKR) – and felt truly flush. For once in my life, I had more than doubled my money instantly and that too at a bank, the Bank of Ceylon. Looking around, I espied the Tourist Office to my right, went up and requested for a map of the country. A rather detailed map it was. Still looking around, I saw the kiosks selling SIM cards to the far left. I deposited LKR 1,000/- and got a Mobitel connection, 200/- deposit; 800/- talk time at 4/- per minute.

From the airport to the Sovereign Hotel (3 stars) was a matter of 40 minutes and roughly 30 kms. I was amazed at the cleanliness of the roads, the traffic sense of the drivers as well as that of the pedestrians and that too in the rush hour of the evening. Everything seemed to be in order and everything seemed to be working. People seemed to be striding towards their goals, their hearths and homes. They appeared cheerful, contented and at peace with the world. Three decades of civil war and now they were in a hurry to catch up with the rest of the world. A truly developing country, striding purposefully in the right direction.

• Pros:Decent people, orderly way of life, ancient culture
  • Cons:Too hot, humid and rainy most of the year
  • In a nutshell:Love to return next winter!
  • Last visit to Colombo: Dec 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2012

• Treshi's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Anil, didnt realize you had come down to Sri Lanka before, great to see the pages about Sri Lanka with wonderful information. This is one reason that I dont do up my pages since you guys do a great job than me...Cheers!!!

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo
      Jul 3, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Thank you, Teshi! I'm sure, the Shillong page is better written by a non-local than by locals like us!!!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Hi, a very interesting page with wonderful photographs! I have never been to this part of the world, but would very much like to go there one day! Do you know the reason why one of the buddhas is a skeleton? I have never seen anything like that before.
    The red-striped mosque looks beautiful, I really hope they won't tear it down when they build a new one!

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo
      Jul 3, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Thank you, Mirjam! That was, I believe, one extreme that Lord Buddha went to on his quest for 'nirvana'. He soon realised that extremes were self-defeating and thereafter advocated the 'Middle Path' of Life and Salvation.
      Very sorry for the late response!

• mehulraj's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Nice page, it brought some memories of Colombo back, unfortunately I have not any photographs with me to share a thing. I enjoyed food at Chettinad at Bamblabatti near shopping mall and Movie too.

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2012 at 9:02 AM

interesting and very descriptive tips, I like the idea of indicating the guide you used for the trip.

anilpradhanshillong

“Half your clothes; double your money”

Badges & Stats in Colombo

Have you been to Colombo?

Latest Activity in Colombo