"Colombo" Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo by anilpradhanshillong
Colombo Travel Guide: 494 reviews and 1,381 photos
The touchdown was perfect and in that instant, I knew that my holiday would be perfect. Strange, when you can predict the future once in a blue moon and it unfolds exactly as you had always wanted it to be. As the aircraft taxied to a halt at the Bandaranaike International Airport at Colombo, the intercom welcomed all of us and went on to add that the temperature outside was a pleasant 27 degrees Celsius, a delicious climb from the 10 or 11 degree Celsius of cold, foggy, muggy Delhi.
The tour operator had been true to her word. There was somebody holding up a placard bearing my name. Very reassuring, more so in a foreign country. Before leaving the airport, I changed my dollars to Sri Lankan currency (LKR) – and felt truly flush. For once in my life, I had more than doubled my money instantly and that too at a bank, the Bank of Ceylon. Looking around, I espied the Tourist Office to my right, went up and requested for a map of the country. A rather detailed map it was. Still looking around, I saw the kiosks selling SIM cards to the far left. I deposited LKR 1,000/- and got a Mobitel connection, 200/- deposit; 800/- talk time at 4/- per minute.
From the airport to the Sovereign Hotel (3 stars) was a matter of 40 minutes and roughly 30 kms. I was amazed at the cleanliness of the roads, the traffic sense of the drivers as well as that of the pedestrians and that too in the rush hour of the evening. Everything seemed to be in order and everything seemed to be working. People seemed to be striding towards their goals, their hearths and homes. They appeared cheerful, contented and at peace with the world. Three decades of civil war and now they were in a hurry to catch up with the rest of the world. A truly developing country, striding purposefully in the right direction.
- Pros:Decent people, orderly way of life, ancient culture
- Cons:Too hot, humid and rainy most of the year
- In a nutshell:Love to return next winter!
Courteous, efficient, pleasant staff. Large, airy rooms. Hotel built on four sides of a square with empty centre,... more travel advice
The Jami-Ul-Alfar Mosque, also called the Red Mosque, in the Pettah bazaar area of Colombo dazzles you with its... more travel advice
anilpradhanshillong's Related Pages
Colombo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Colombo, my favourite city in the Country"
- "A capital city in every sense."
- "An Indian Ocean Melting Pot"
- "Colombo the city where i live"
- "Colombo - the Main city of Sri Lanka"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Colombo
- Hotels in Colombo
- Transportation in Colombo
- Nightlife in Colombo
- Restaurants in Colombo
- Shopping in Colombo
- Warnings and Dangers in Colombo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colombo
- 23 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Colombo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colombo
Photos in ColomboSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 51 reviews, 217 photos
- Hampi Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 5 travelogues
- Shillong Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucknow Intro, 16 reviews, 115 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udagamandalam Intro, 18 reviews, 113 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 23 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leh Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darjeeling Intro, 17 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination McLeod Ganj Intro, 19 reviews, 74 photos
- Ajanta Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos