"Thirty Feet Above The Ocean" Top 5 Page for this destination Rameswaram by anilpradhanshillong
Rameswaram Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 62 photos
Rameswaram, in the Ramanathapuram district of Tamil Nadu, located on Pamban Island or Rameswaram Island, is separated from mainland India by the Pamban channel. The Pamban Bridge connects the two. The bridge itself is a work of art, arching in the middle to allow ships to sail unhindered beneath it. Over 2 kms long, it is supported by 79 pillars of which 64 are buried deep into the sea. It was inaugurated in 1988 after14 long years of construction. A video is here at VirtualTourist.
By its side, is the precarious-looking Pamban Rail Scissors Bridge, also over 2 kms long. It is constructed on 145 stone pillars with the middle portion opening like a scissor to allow vessels to pass through. It was partially destroyed by the devastating cyclone that hit the island in 1964 but was speedily repaired. A broad gauge rail line now connects the island to the mainland.
With an average elevation of 10 m (32 ft.), Rameswaram Island is precariously small occupying a mere 60-odd sq. kms. Of this, the Ramanathaswamy Temple complex occupies a major portion. On the map, its shape resembles that of a conch. Its beach is surprisingly calm with nary a wave with the result that the waters of the biggest bay in the world, the Bay of Bengal and that of the Indian Ocean, resemble a somnolent river.
Owing to its proximity to the Equator, the island is perennially hot. The temperature hovers between 30°C to 35°C the whole year round. However, during the winter months of November to January, it is a tad cooler. October to January is considered the monsoon season.
- Pros:A Spiritual Odyssey
- Cons:Very hot whenever!
- In a nutshell:"Even This Will Pass"
The Panchamuka Hanuman Temple is located only 2 kms from the Ramaswamy Temple. The idols of Hanuman, Lord Rama and Sita... more travel advice
Dhanushkodi is a mere strip of land barely 1 kms wide and 20 kms long. It is roughly 3 kms from the Rameswaram Temple.... more travel advice
anilpradhanshillong's Related Pages
Rameswaram Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Let Me Tell You A Story"
- "Thirty Feet Above The Ocean"
- "A Major Pilgrim Centre Down South"
- "Rameswaram: renowned Hindu Pilgrimage center"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rameswaram
- Hotels in Rameswaram
- Transportation in Rameswaram
- Shopping in Rameswaram
- Warnings and Dangers in Rameswaram
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rameswaram
- 6 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Rameswaram?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rameswaram
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Personal Money Manager Software"
- Uploaded a Video to Rameswaram
- updated a Rameswaram Travel Page "Thirty Feet Above The Ocean"
- Wrote a Review Beaches In Spiritual Paradise in Rameswaram Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "World's Longest Temple Corridor-Rameswaram Temple"
Photos in RameswaramSee All Photos (5)
Videos in RameswaramSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 51 reviews, 217 photos
- Hampi Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 5 travelogues
- Shillong Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucknow Intro, 16 reviews, 115 photos, 6 travelogues
- Udagamandalam Intro, 18 reviews, 113 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 23 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leh Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darjeeling Intro, 17 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination McLeod Ganj Intro, 19 reviews, 74 photos
- Ajanta Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos