"Lord of Deers – Sarnath" Sarnath by anilpradhanshillong
Sarnath Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 227 photos
The journey from Varanasi to Sarnath (contraction of 'Saranganath', meaning, 'Lord of Deers') is barely a half hour, a distance of about only 10 kms. Before you leave Varanasi completely and are in the outskirts, you reach the suburbs of Sarnath. But the transformation is complete: from the cacophony of Varanasi to the tranquillity of Sarnath, from dirt and dust to cleanliness and greenery, from claustophobic alleys to spacious surroundings.
This is the place, Lord Buddha chose to deliver his very first sermon at the Deer Park after attaining Enlightenment and set in motion the 'Maha-Dharmachakra Pravartan' or the 'Turning of the Wheel of Law', the place Emperor Ashoka visited, circa 234 BC and erected a stupa, the place where between the 3rd. century BC and the 11th century AD, several Buddhist structures were built. It is a small place, barely 3 sq. kms but in terms of holiness, the holiest, especially for the Buddhist and the Jains.
Sarnath is one of the four important places associated with the life of the Buddha, the place where he delivered his first sermon. The others are, Lumbini in Nepal, his birthplace, Bodh Gaya (Bihar, India), where he attained Enlightenment and Kushinagar (Eastern Uttar Pradesh, India), where he delivered his last sermon and also the place where he breathed his last.
The ruins, the museum and the temple are all within walking distance.
First Written: Mar. 29, 2012
- Pros:A Very Holy Place where Peace & Tranquillity Reigns Supreme
- Cons:Very hot during summers
- In a nutshell:If in Varanasi, must visit Sarnath
The Mulagandha Kuti Vihar built by the Mahabodhi Society, is a modern temple. It has brilliant frescoes painted by... more travel advice
Next to this, a bit further down to your left is the Archaeological Museum, a veritable treasure house. There are five... more travel advice
anilpradhanshillong's Related Pages
Sarnath Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Sarnath"
- "Sarnath - where Buddha preached his first sermon"
- "The Holy land of Buddha"
- "On the Buddhist trail: Sarnath"
- "sandravdp's new Sarnath Page"
- "Boeddhas preaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sarnath
- Hotels in Sarnath
- Transportation in Sarnath
- Nightlife in Sarnath
- Restaurants in Sarnath
- Shopping in Sarnath
- Warnings and Dangers in Sarnath
- See All...
Explore the World
- Crete Island
- Tecumseh Hotels
- South Padre Island
- Daytona Beach
- Greater Accra Region
- Shanagolden Hotels
- State of Himachal Pradesh Hotels
- Apple River Canyon State Park Hotels
- Half Moon Bay
- Guinobatan Hotels
- Grand Cayman
- Mambakkam Hotels
Badges & Stats in Sarnath
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Sarnath?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sarnath
Photos in SarnathSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 51 reviews, 217 photos
- Hampi Intro, 36 reviews, 191 photos, 5 travelogues
- Shillong Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucknow Intro, 16 reviews, 115 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombo Intro, 23 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leh Intro, 24 reviews, 79 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darjeeling Intro, 17 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination McLeod Ganj Intro, 19 reviews, 74 photos
- Ajanta Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos
- Goa Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues