"Good Bye Ontario- Hello Black Diamond" Black Diamond by twilightmuse

Black Diamond Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 37 photos

Out with the old and in with the uh older...

I recently made the decision to up and move from Cambridge, Ontario to Black Diamond, Alberta. Cambridge just wasn't happening for us anymore. I firmly believe in Synchronicity and it was telling us that it was time to move on. Cambridge started to feel oppressive- one step forward, three back. Not to mention the boredom.
So we had an invite from some friends to come out here and look for work and voila here we are!

My frontier town.

Black Diamond is a frontier town preserved from the heyday of the oil boom. Every little building has some plaque on it that tells you what it once was: the general store, bakery, hotel, barber etc.
The main drag is one of the smallest I have ever lived around and coming from northern Ontario that is saying something!
But everything here is ma and pa owned , the people are super friendly and I can see the mountains everyday.

We get a lot of through traffic here- from truckers to long distance bikers ( pedal) and motorcycles. It seems that is it a big stopping point for motorcyclists to come and relax at the hotel pub or grab an ice cream cone. On sunny days there is lots of walking traffic. It's a nice rest stop while on route through the cowboy trail ( back roads called the Cowboy trail) to Canmore, Banff or Cochrane. There are so many places to go from our little nesting site that the possibilities on a nice day are pretty much endless.

Foothills County

The area I live in is called the Foothills county. This area is blessed with rolling hills surrounded by mountains and glacier rivers. There are no super highways here. Only farmers and oil workers.
In exact locations I am aprox.1 hour outside of Calgary, 18km outside of Okotoks ( the most eco-friendly city in all of Canada), and 3km from Turner Valley. I am also about 2 hours away from Banff and Canmore. Which means the possibilites of getting bored with so much around is pretty small. I can go into the city or I can go into the mountains.

• Pros:mountains!
  • Cons:Don't expect so see a shopping mall
  • In a nutshell:Quaint get away from the hustle and bustle.
  • Last visit to Black Diamond: Nov 2011
  • Intro Updated May 24, 2012

• DSwede's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2012 at 4:19 AM

Happy birthday! Or as they say here bom aniverisario

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2011 at 12:15 PM

WOW!! Sure it's a small boon-town, but very impressive pictures!! 600 people in Frank gone in a few minutes--totally tragic. "...Like balsa wood"? Did you make up that metaphor?

twilightmuse Visits Here Frequently!

twilightmuse

“"If you don't know what your doing- better to do it quickly."”

Badges & Stats in Black Diamond

Have you been to Black Diamond?

Latest Activity in Black Diamond