"Good Bye Ontario- Hello Black Diamond" Black Diamond by twilightmuse
Black Diamond Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 37 photos
I recently made the decision to up and move from Cambridge, Ontario to Black Diamond, Alberta. Cambridge just wasn't happening for us anymore. I firmly believe in Synchronicity and it was telling us that it was time to move on. Cambridge started to feel oppressive- one step forward, three back. Not to mention the boredom.
So we had an invite from some friends to come out here and look for work and voila here we are!
Black Diamond is a frontier town preserved from the heyday of the oil boom. Every little building has some plaque on it that tells you what it once was: the general store, bakery, hotel, barber etc.
The main drag is one of the smallest I have ever lived around and coming from northern Ontario that is saying something!
But everything here is ma and pa owned , the people are super friendly and I can see the mountains everyday.
We get a lot of through traffic here- from truckers to long distance bikers ( pedal) and motorcycles. It seems that is it a big stopping point for motorcyclists to come and relax at the hotel pub or grab an ice cream cone. On sunny days there is lots of walking traffic. It's a nice rest stop while on route through the cowboy trail ( back roads called the Cowboy trail) to Canmore, Banff or Cochrane. There are so many places to go from our little nesting site that the possibilities on a nice day are pretty much endless.
The area I live in is called the Foothills county. This area is blessed with rolling hills surrounded by mountains and glacier rivers. There are no super highways here. Only farmers and oil workers.
In exact locations I am aprox.1 hour outside of Calgary, 18km outside of Okotoks ( the most eco-friendly city in all of Canada), and 3km from Turner Valley. I am also about 2 hours away from Banff and Canmore. Which means the possibilites of getting bored with so much around is pretty small. I can go into the city or I can go into the mountains.
- Cons:Don't expect so see a shopping mall
- In a nutshell:Quaint get away from the hustle and bustle.
Pharmasave is the local drug store. So you can find all your daily needs but it also has a small gift store section,... more travel advice
On a hot summer day people take full advantage of the Sheep river. It is a great place to go swimming, sunning, fishing... more travel advice
Written May 25, 2012
Around the little town
Written Aug 2, 2012
Swimming, tubbing and kayaking oh my.
twilightmuse's Related Pages
Black Diamond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Good Bye Ontario- Hello Black Diamond"
- "The most representative boomtown/cow boy town!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Black Diamond
- Hotels in Black Diamond
- Restaurants in Black Diamond
- Shopping in Black Diamond
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Black Diamond
- 14 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Black Diamond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Black Diamond
Photos in Black DiamondSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Black Diamond Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos, 3 travelogues
- Banff National Park Intro, 5 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Camagüey Intro, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Turner Valley Intro, 3 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Province of Alberta Intro, 30 photos, 4 travelogues
- Playa del Carmen Intro, 1 review, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
- Calgary Intro, 3 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santa Lucía Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue