"Cambridge" Cambridge by twilightmuse

Cambridge Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 178 photos

I currently live in a town called Cambridge, which is about an hour west of Toronto en route to London. It is an odd blue collar town, with lots of white trash and bikers, yet filled with old world charm. The older streets are filled with old victorian brick houses covered in flowers, which very much reminds me of the wrought iron balconies I saw in New Orleans.

A little Background

The town is broken up into 3 areas that each used to be a township on it's own until they merged to form a small city. The areas are called: Preston, Hespeler and Galt. It makes Cambridge a very odd place to go because each main area has it's own main street core, featuring shops, restaurants, bars, churches and parks. The population of this town that was born and raised here is fiercly loyal to whichever part they were raised in, as though it is some sort of competition as to which side of town is better. Cambridge is also on the border of Kitchener and Waterloo so it becomes a much bigger mesh of a tri-city area. Guelph is also a close neighbour.

Sometimes I hate the fact that I live in such a blue collar town with white trash and other times I shrug and wonder well where else would I go? There are aspects here that I find beautiful and that I really gravitate to. There are large parks everywhere full of mountain bike trails, ponds, rivers, and groomed fields and picnic areas. You can kayack all the way from Guelph to a little town called Paris which would take about 6 hours give or take. You can run or bike from one area of town to the next following the Speed river away from roads and traffic. I need to be around nature even though I do love urban areas as well.

I tend to need the same check list of things wherever I go: a good coffee shop, a used bookstore, preferably a Chapters, interesting architechture and nature. I find all of that here. Plus I am in an area that is close to lots of other places to visit, yet I can still walk to my local grocery store and the business owners in my area all know me by sight.

• Pros:small enough to know your neighbours
  • Cons:cheap enough to encourage white trash.
  • Intro Updated Jul 13, 2010

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Look at the ivy on that pub!!! Wow!

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Welcome to VT, Khym. Cambridge looks like a nice place. Your description of City Cafe made me hungry for a good bagel.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2010 at 10:01 AM

i liked the idea of Groove Kitchen. have not been to the city as much as i would love to, but soon.

twilightmuse Used To Live Here!

twilightmuse

“"If you don't know what your doing- better to do it quickly."”

Badges & Stats in Cambridge

Have you been to Cambridge?

Latest Activity in Cambridge