"Cambridge" Cambridge by twilightmuse
Cambridge Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 178 photos
I currently live in a town called Cambridge, which is about an hour west of Toronto en route to London. It is an odd blue collar town, with lots of white trash and bikers, yet filled with old world charm. The older streets are filled with old victorian brick houses covered in flowers, which very much reminds me of the wrought iron balconies I saw in New Orleans.
The town is broken up into 3 areas that each used to be a township on it's own until they merged to form a small city. The areas are called: Preston, Hespeler and Galt. It makes Cambridge a very odd place to go because each main area has it's own main street core, featuring shops, restaurants, bars, churches and parks. The population of this town that was born and raised here is fiercly loyal to whichever part they were raised in, as though it is some sort of competition as to which side of town is better. Cambridge is also on the border of Kitchener and Waterloo so it becomes a much bigger mesh of a tri-city area. Guelph is also a close neighbour.
Sometimes I hate the fact that I live in such a blue collar town with white trash and other times I shrug and wonder well where else would I go? There are aspects here that I find beautiful and that I really gravitate to. There are large parks everywhere full of mountain bike trails, ponds, rivers, and groomed fields and picnic areas. You can kayack all the way from Guelph to a little town called Paris which would take about 6 hours give or take. You can run or bike from one area of town to the next following the Speed river away from roads and traffic. I need to be around nature even though I do love urban areas as well.
I tend to need the same check list of things wherever I go: a good coffee shop, a used bookstore, preferably a Chapters, interesting architechture and nature. I find all of that here. Plus I am in an area that is close to lots of other places to visit, yet I can still walk to my local grocery store and the business owners in my area all know me by sight.
- Pros:small enough to know your neighbours
- Cons:cheap enough to encourage white trash.
A cute little eco-coffee shop. Amazing fair trade coffee from Peru and Mexico. I recommend the dark roast. more travel advice
This shop sits in a plaza that is dead. it is situated next to a laundry mat and a computer repair shop. In truth to... more travel advice
twilightmuse's Related Pages
Cambridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Butterfly Paradise!"
- "A nice place"
- "A grand place to visit!"
- "Cambridge Ontario"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cambridge
- Transportation in Cambridge
- Nightlife in Cambridge
- Restaurants in Cambridge
- Shopping in Cambridge
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cambridge
- 13 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Cambridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cambridge
Photos in CambridgeSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Black Diamond Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos, 3 travelogues
- Banff National Park Intro, 5 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Camagüey Intro, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Turner Valley Intro, 3 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Province of Alberta Intro, 30 photos, 4 travelogues
- Playa del Carmen Intro, 1 review, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
- Calgary Intro, 3 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santa Lucía Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue