"Good place to be on an empty stomach." Kitchener by twilightmuse
Kitchener Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 82 photos
I've been here a gazillion times as it is the neighbouring city right next door to Cambridge, but this was the first time I actually brought my camera and walked around. Seeing it through the eye of a lens made me appreciate it much more then I normally would have. In fact Kitchener seems like a nice little city.
Walking around looking for interesting things to photograph made me realize that this little city is a mecca for multi-cultural dinning and has a huge coffee culture base. You can find any sort of food within easy walking distance from; Carribean, Ethiopian, Portugese, vegan, Japanese, Thai, and of course a good ol'greasy spoon, pubs, a farmer's market, burger joints, a cupcake shop and even a chocolate shop/cafe.
There is a cafe on every block and around every corner- some are even right next door to each other. Everything from Coffee Time, Coffee Culture to indie owned fair trade cafes. If your hungry Kitchener is a good place to be.
Most of the downtown shops cater to the younger crowd as there seems to be a large punk/ street kid vibe on the main drag- King Street. So you can expect to find vintage stores, a rock t-shirt shop, and some upcycled eco stores and a few boutiques. There are also numerous used bookstores and generally if you are looking for a title one of these stores will definitely have it.
However, having said that there is culture and fun to be had at any age here. Right on the main drag lies city hall with an outdoor pool that they turn into an ice rink every year for outdoor skating. There is a museum that has awesome exhibits like one for Andy Warhol and the Body Work's exhibit. There is also a performing arts centre where you can go watch plays, music or symphonies- all within walking distance of the grand hotel the Walper Terrace- home of actual rum runners! The basement has been turned into a pub classicly called the Rum Runner, which has real old safes and tunnels used during prohabition days.
The only down side to this is that everything downtown seems to close at 5pm so walking around after that makes for a mighty quiet walk.
- Pros:food - lots of it.
- Cons:very high street kid-person vibe.
- In a nutshell:After writing this I like it a whole lot more.
No place would be complete without a cupcake shop! This one is yummy and so cute and chic inside. Peanut butter... more travel advice
twilightmuse's Related Pages
Kitchener Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Good place to be on an empty stomach."
- "Old New Berlin is New Kitchener"
- "Do not drive in Kitchener!"
- "Welcome to Kitchener"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kitchener
- Hotels in Kitchener
- Restaurants in Kitchener
- Shopping in Kitchener
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kitchener
- 7 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Kitchener?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kitchener
Photos in KitchenerSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Cambridge Intro, 13 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Black Diamond Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos, 3 travelogues
- Banff National Park Intro, 5 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Camagüey Intro, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Turner Valley Intro, 3 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Province of Alberta Intro, 30 photos, 4 travelogues
- Playa del Carmen Intro, 1 review, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
- Calgary Intro, 3 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Santa Lucía Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue