"New Orleans" New Orleans by twilightmuse

New Orleans Travel Guide: 4,198 reviews and 7,269 photos

New Orleans would make me a zombie.

New Orleans was my first real trip that I planned with friends. Up until now I had traveled with family and anything involving a plane which was all of Florida when I was 13 was done by my family.

So this was a big deal to me. I always wanted to go to NOLA and I was so excited at the prospect of being able to cross it off my list of must sees. This was the first time I booked a flight and needed a passport. It was myself and a friend flying down to meet up with two other friends who had opted to drive down for Halloween weekend.

Halloween weekend is the second biggest tourist time next to Mardi Gras. So it was quite the trip involving lots of costumes, dancing all night until the sun came up and lots and lots of tourists.

Bourbon Street

New Orleans is everything they say it is. A friend of mine said that if you weren't a strong person you could lose yourself in this city and never find your way out. After spending 4 days there I see how this is true. Every night we were there it was a 5am-er. Bourbon street is hugely alive at night with partiers. Every bar has a take out drink window so you can wander up and down the strip. There are strip clubs featuring live sex shows, each bar has a variety of music blaring into the street - everything but jazz ( something that shocked me), and there are tons of shops selling beads. People line the balconies and chuck beads at you and they are not pleasant things to get hit in the head with.

Each morning Bourbon would be silent and full of garbage pushed along the curbs- remnants of the night before.

The French Quarter

I loved the french quarter. There was so much juxtaposition between light and dark. They completely embrace and revel in their voodoo history and all things occult. You can wander into mask shops that sell the sort of masks seen in movies like The Labyrinth, or go into the famous St.Louis cathedral while fortune tellers line the street across from the entrance. Along the side and back of the cathedral you can find Pirates Alley- a historical site that was used by real pirates. Along this aisle is the Boutique De Vampyre, and the Fee Verte absinthe bar. Tour groups meet up in the center of Jackson square to take you on Bayou and cemetery tours. Balconies are covered in wrought iron and hanging vines, hidden courtyards are everywhere and every brick you trip on has a little piece of history.

My friends opted to sleep their days away while I on the other hand found the city so enthralling that sleep was impossible. I survived on 2-3 hours a night and was out the door at 9am every morning refusing to miss any time seeing everything I wanted to. The lovely thing about the french quarter is that in the morning hidden courtyards open up everywhere for breakfast, that later in the afternoon are once again hidden behind wrought iron gates. So many little gems that can only be found at certain parts of the day.

I feel that if I were to stay there any longer I would become a living zombie- unable to sleep for fear of missing anything. And to this day New Orleans stays in my mind, nostalgic and longing. I even tend to read lots of supernatural cheesy books simply because they take place in the French Quarter and remind of the landmarks I came to know so well in such a short time.

• Pros:so much to see and do
  • Cons:the garbage left over from the partiers.
  • Last visit to New Orleans: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 13, 2011

Comments

twilightmuse

“"If you don't know what your doing- better to do it quickly."”

Badges & Stats in New Orleans

Have you been to New Orleans?

Latest Activity in New Orleans