"Sun Sand and Sea" Santa Lucía by twilightmuse

Santa Lucía Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 27 photos

Just what my soul needed

After a long year of planning a wedding and ups and downs with job uncertainties and general plans for the future finally a trip away! It's been 2 years since my last big trip and I said after my not so great trip to Varadero that I would never return to Cuba and here I am back in Cuba. This time it was a much more positive experience and I am so glad that I gave this country another chance. We met so many people that were on the same plane as us from our neighbouring cities that in *real* life you would never get the change to meet becuase your routine simply wouldn't put you in that pathway. As such we had such a fun time having people to hang out and laugh with at night and go on excursions with.

The locals in Santa Lucia are much more laid back and pleasant to be around then I found in Varadero. I found in Varadero the locals were very pushy about selling illegal things but here they would simply say if you are looking and leave it at that. Most of them would ask for clothing and offer their services for it. We got a large starfish and a giant ceramic seahorse for the cost of 2 outfits. I gave our maid a purse that I didn't use anymore and she was so grateful she came and found us and told us she hoped she was working the day we left so she could say goodbye to us.

A sleepy Fishing Village

Santa Lucia is a sleepy fishing village about 3 hours outside of the city of Camaguey in Cuba. As such there are only about 3 resorts in the area that are modest in comparision to other resort locations even for a 4 star. There is no build up for the tourists so if that is what you are looking for go somewhere else. Try Varadero, Havana or Mexico. You won't find any shopping here or even any off the resort restaurants. The only stores to be found are the ones on the resort and there will be a few local merchants that come to the resort to sell some trinkets. Being so remote sometimes they will take clothing as commerce. We bought most of our trinkets at the duty free in the airport.

This is such a great place to go if you just need to rest and revive. Bring some books and a journal and enjoy the cuban cappucinno, rum and sun.

However if you are a water lover then you will be in paradise. Santa Lucia is home to the world's second largest coral reef. It runs about 400km along the coast and makes for amazing snorkelling and diving. The beach in the area sits on a natural shelf so it is very shallow and bath tub warm. The only downside to all this nature is that sea weed washes up along the beach which can be a little yukky getting in a out but it is a small price to pay. My husband and I went snorkelling and saw an eel, several octupi and every fish from finding Nemo.

A sad goodbye.

I said I would never return to Cuba and I was wrong. I think that I should amend that by saying I will never return to Varadero. I loved Santa Lucia and actually would enjoy going back there again someday.

• Pros:sun sand and sea- no tourist build-up
  • Cons:no tourist build-up
  • In a nutshell:a great place to rest and revive.
  • Last visit to Santa Lucía: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated Aug 18, 2010

Travelogues (1)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I am sure Santa Lucia is worth visiting....

• maggiolina's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2010 at 9:11 AM

this beach looks fantastic, thanks for sharing

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2010 at 9:26 AM

That story about Iggy is so bizarre. I've seen hundreds on iguanas in my time but never seen anything quite like it. The head bobbing is supposed to mean, "Keep away--I'm getting angry!!" $20 for a full day tour is a *GREAT* deal!!

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Cuba is such a unique culture isn't it..LOVE Cuban people...too bad about the Montrealer..Life's lessons are often lousy experiences!Looks like a great beach!!Santa Lucía is not a spot in Cuba that Ive ventured to..but I'd like to some day!

twilightmuse

“"If you don't know what your doing- better to do it quickly."”

Badges & Stats in Santa Lucía

Have you been to Santa Lucía?

Latest Activity in Santa Lucía