Mount Everest Local Custom Tips by davidjo Top 5 Page for this destination
Mount Everest Local Customs: 3 reviews and 3 photos
PRAYER FLAGS FLUTTERING IN THE WIND
On mountain passes you will find many prayer flags fluttering in the wind, of which there are two types, horizontal and vertical. Horizontal ones are known as Lung ta and the others are known as Darchor, the former meaning wind horse while the latter means good fortune to all. The flags usually come in sets of 5 colours in a specific order. The 5 colours represent the 5 elements. Tibetans believe that as the wind blows the prayers will blow in the wind and spread good fortune to all. Also the Buddhist will drop a stone at the top of the pass, some piles are quite high.
GAINING WISDOM AND MERIT
Buddhist spin their individual prayer wheels clockwise, the same direction the sun moves across the earth and the same way mantras are written, while the holder utters the mantra "Om mani padme hum". By spinning the wheel each circulation is the same as speaking the mantra, while concentrating hard, which in turn would give the owner wisdom, merit and rid of bad karma. i came across this lady on the Everest trek sitting in the corner of the lodge and 2 years later when i repeated the trek she was still in the exact same position.
Mani walls are a collection of stone tablets with inscriptions carved on them which say "Om mani padme hum", meaning "hail to the jewel of the lotus". You must pass on the left hand side of the wall as Buddhists believe it is the direction that the universe follows (clockwise).
More Reviews (17)
davidjo's Related Pages
Mount Everest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The BIG one - Qomolangma, Sagarmatha or Mt.Everest"
- "Everest base camp"
- "Mount Everest & Surroundings From The Air"
- "Have you ever been on top of the World?"
- "Why not!?!"
- "Everest - the easy way"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Everest
- Hotels in Mount Everest
- Transportation in Mount Everest
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Everest
- See All...
Explore the World
- Moreton Island Hotels
- Melnik Hotels
- Kaiaua Hotels
- Astoria Hotels
Badges & Stats in Mount Everest
- 20 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Mount Everest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Everest
Photos in Mount EverestSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 345 reviews, 811 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa Intro, 144 reviews, 183 photos
- Manila Intro, 51 reviews, 98 photos
- Hounslow Intro, 39 reviews, 82 photos
- Richmond Intro, 33 reviews, 86 photos
- Bandar Seri Begawan Intro, 27 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Barton Intro, 25 reviews, 40 photos
- Hampton Intro, 16 reviews, 41 photos
- Kingston upon Thames Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Everest 20 reviews, 30 photos