Puerto Princesa Things to Do Tips by davidjo Top 5 Page for this destination
Puerto Princesa Things to Do: 54 reviews and 137 photos
Memorial of the hero
Mendoza Park is in Rizal Avenue and is near the market, the museum and the Bruno's Delicatessen . There is an auditorium there where kids will practice Sepak Taraw, and from time to time there are beauty contests or talent show as well as other events. In the park there is a playground for kids and also a police hut.
Recently they unveiled a statue to Higinio Mendoza who was a guerilla leader in WWII against the Japanese. He was the governor of Palawan from 1931-38 and he organized his guerilla unit in 1942, a few months before the Japanese arrived.After evacuating the town he moved a 150 kms north where he flew both the American and Filipino flag and he was responsible for executing locals who spied for the Japanese., whcih resulted on him being put on the enemy's most wanted list. He was eventually captured in 1944, and the Japanese forced him to dig his own grave before shooting and beheading him.
ARRIVING AT UNDERGROUND RIVER
Due to Mayor Hagedorn's successful campaign to make Puerto Princesa's Subterranean River Park one of the NEW 7 WONDERS OF THE WORLD the booking office in Puerto Princesa is very busy and you must allow a couple of hours to obtain the permit. The office has recently been relocated to the Coliseum which is 2kms from the capital Building in San Pedro. An online booking system is supposed to be introduced about now so it is worth checking out if it is in operation yet.
Angela's Farm is 5 kms out of town but has three swimming pools, restaurant and bar, a good place to spend the afternoon if you are stuck for something to do.
If you are going north take a break at the simple Viewdeck Restaurant at km 84. This is a place to relax with a drink while viewing the ocean but not much of a restaurant i am afraid. There is a selection of snacks available plus precooked meals.
This small place is at Km 68 on the way north, but it's rarely visited but seems to offer an insight to Batak Life with a small museum, handicrafts, a Batak hut as the sign advertises.
Try and catch a movie at the new ROBINSONS SHOPPING MALL. There are 4 cinemas , one of which is 3D, all airconditioned, so get out of the heat and relax for a while. You can book tickets online.
Address: km4 highway north
Park at Coliseum
If you ever happen to be around when Manny Pacquioa is having a world title fight the Coliseum will be open to all. Entrance is free to watch the fight on a big screen. Also there are occasionally PBA (basketball) matches here as well as live bands, so check the schedule out (there will be posters all over town)
Directions: SAN PEDRO
Tour companies offer trips in Puerto Princesa Bay o watch dolphins at play. Half day trips cost in the region of 900 pesos per person and although i have never taken the trip i have heard that there are plenty of dolphins to see.
This museum just opened in Dec 2011 and is privately owned by a local resident who is a keen historian. Many exhibits were donated from locals in the city, and there are several exhibit rooms, each on a different theme, such as the USA, the Japanese, the British and Russian etc. There is a good collection of relics, uniforms, weapons. This Museum is about 1 km after the airport and is open daily from 8-5 except Wednesdays. Admission is free but there is a donation box. Drinks can be purchased, and you can relax while browsing through various war books. Also there is internet access and a good collection of old photographs on the wall.
There are two information centres in Puerto Princesa, one is just 50 m on your right as you exit the departure hall and the other is situated in the Capital building. Both are very helpful and have several brochures about the island.
More Reviews (107)
- See All SIZZLING MEALS AT A ECONOMICAL PRICE
- See All ANGELA'S FARM
- See All NEW FLIGHTS TO DAVAO
- See All ROXAS OR ROXAS OR ROXAS
- See All newly opened
davidjo's Related Pages
Puerto Princesa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "d underground dream..."
- "Truly an Amazing Wonder of Nature"
- "Palawan... truly a nature lover's paradise!"
- "Puerto Princesa, Palawan Experience"
- "palawan is a paradise"
- "Palawan (Only in the Philippines)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Princesa
- Hotels in Puerto Princesa
- Transportation in Puerto Princesa
- Nightlife in Puerto Princesa
- Restaurants in Puerto Princesa
- Shopping in Puerto Princesa
- Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Princesa
- See All...
Explore the World
- Centurion Hotels
- Forbes Park Hotels
- Cortina d'Ampezzo
- Coconut Grove Hotels
- Paignton Hotels
Badges & Stats in Puerto Princesa
- 143 Reviews
- 182 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Puerto Princesa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Princesa
- Posted in Travel Bantayan Island Forum "Re: Motercykel rental"
- Commented on one of davidjo's Puerto Princesa tips
- Wrote a Review SIZZLING MEALS AT A ECONOMICAL PRICE in Puerto Princesa Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "SIZZLING MEALS AT A ECONOMICAL PRICE"
- created a Puerto Princesa Travel Page "PALAWAN"
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 345 reviews, 811 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa Intro, 143 reviews, 182 photos
- Manila Intro, 51 reviews, 98 photos
- Hounslow Intro, 39 reviews, 82 photos
- Richmond Intro, 33 reviews, 86 photos
- Bandar Seri Begawan Intro, 27 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Barton Intro, 25 reviews, 40 photos
- Hampton Intro, 16 reviews, 41 photos
- Kingston upon Thames Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Everest 20 reviews, 30 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (19)
Latest Puerto Princesa hotel reviews
- Palawan Village Hotel
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- D' Lucky Garden Inn & Apartelles Palawan
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Sheridan Beach Resort & Convention Center
- 180 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Ysabelle Mansion
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Hibiscus Garden Hotel
- 207 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Coco Loco Island Resort
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 20, 2013
- Dangkalan Beach Resort and Restaurant
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 3, 2013
- Marina De Bay
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 2, 2013
- Niko's Cabanas & Restaurant
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 25, 2013
- Dolce Vita
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Balay Inato Pension
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Liberty Park Pension
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2012
- Deep Forest Garden Inn
- 123 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- A&A Plaza Hotel
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Tropical Sun Inn
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013