"PUERTO PRINCESA, CAPITAL of PALAWAN" Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa by davidjo
Puerto Princesa Travel Guide: 560 reviews and 1,616 photos
When i visited Palawan as a tourist i realised i had found a special place. The plane flew over the islands off of the north, over El Nido, Port Barton then across the island over Honda Bay before slowly descending to land on the runway which starts at the sea. From your window you will see mountains, jungle and rugged seashore with idyllic beaches. Ex- Mayor Hagedorn has done so much for the city and is well known for his environmental concerns. The airport is only a 5 minute ride to the city centre, i say city but it's more like a town. Back in 1990 Puerto Princesa really was "The Last Frontier" as after you left town the road north was not surfaced, just a track going north through forest for 280 kms until you reached El Nido. To visit the Underground river you had to take a boat from Baheli or Port Barton, and there were only a handful of cars, the town was quiet and the only traffic going up and down Rizal Avenue were tricycles. There was a choice of a handful of guest houses and people from Manila were frightened to come here as it was known as a wild place, a malarial place and far away from the rest of the Philippines. That first time i saw Palawan in 1990 i knew i would return.
I NOW REALISE I HAVE SO MANY TIPS ABOUT RESTAURANTS, ACCOMMODATION AND ATTRACTIONS PLEASE LOOK AT A NEW OVERVIEW THAT I HAVE WRITTEN " BEST OF PUERTO PRINCESA"WHICH YOU CAN FIND IN THE " FAVORITES " SECTION.
Favorite thing: I have written somany reviews of he city I have decided to make an overview with what I consider is best recommendations, so here goes.
THINGS TO DO
1. Island hopping at Honda Bay---Take a boat for the day and visit three destinations such as Pambatu Reef, Panran Island and Cowrie Island. Cowrie Island has a wonderful luncheon buffet for only 200 pesos.
2. Iwahig Penal Colony is interesting as it is an open prison. Go their souvenir shop and the prisoners will dance, swim at Balsahah River inside the colny, have the prisoners BBQ your lunch ( bring your own meat or fish).
3. We have three museums, the Special Batallion Museum which deals with the war years and the right against the Japanese, the museum at Mendoza Park and the one at the Legislative Building, the last two you can learn about the tribes on the island.
4. The crocodile farm has tours every 30 minutes, and then you can see other animals such as best cats on the nature trail.
5. Spend late afternoon , early evening at Baywalk where enjoy a cool breexe, cold beer and a seafood meal.
6. Bakers Hill is a nice garden with restaurants, birds, and a god view of the ocean. The strange building of Mitra Ranch is nearby where you can ride a horse, or zipliñe.
7. The butterfly farm and tribal village is interesting , especially the guide will explain about the butterflies and other insects before you visit the local Palawenos and see how they live.
8. There are trips in the evening o see fireflies at one of the rivers.
9. The eco park at Irawan is in the forest where there is a zipliñe, canopy walk and massage as well as other attractions.
10. Visit the market and see the wonderful selection of seafood.
11. Although I have never been, there are dolphin watching trips where it is almost guaranteed that you will see these lovely creatures.
RESTAURANTS - A FEW OF OUR FAVORITES
Olio e Basilico, an Italian restaurant in native building
Kalui's, famous for its ambience and seafood ( only)
Badjao Seafront on stilts by the ocean, famous for seafood.
TOMTOMS for western food
Kinabuchs, a busy restaurant with extensive menu, good service and excellent food
Artisan, a taste of different foods of the world
White Fence Cafe , a good choice of food, well decorated and nice ambience.
Backpacker suggestions. Sheebangs has great for and atmosphere although it is not near the center
300-400 pesos The long running Duchess has the cheapest rooms in town?
OMG is a basic place to be in the center of town.
Good budget accommodation. Big Brother House ,two locations with swimming pool and kitchen
Grace Park, near the airport
Cheaper hotels. Marianne Hotel with pool and breakfast
Casa Mila also has travel agency
Deep Forest with good travel agency and excellent restaurant.
Expensive. 5* Princesa Garden Resort with several swimming pools, restaurants, 70+ rooms and bungalows over the sea
OFF THE BEATEN TRACK------- See details of my reviews in OFF THE BEATEN TRACK
Nagtabon Beach 30 kms
Talaudyong Beach. 40 kms
Motorcycle ride along the west coast 139 kms loop
Hot Springs at Luz Vaminda 25 kms
Inagawan Beach. 54 kms
I am not sure if all the changes are good as i kind of love nature and not a city man, but where there were rough roads there are now surfaced roads. There used to be one flight a day, now there are many. There was one department store, now there are a few shopping malls open or being constructed. There were only a few cars, with occasional jeepney and tricycles were the normal way to get around town, now there are many buses,multi-cabs, minibuses and 100's of tricycles with traffic congestion. There were 3 gas stations in Puerto Princesa and now there are more than 25. There were 4 old cinemas, now we have 4 cinemas in the Robinsons Complex.. There was one good hotel, now there are quite a few and over 100 places to stay. But now there is a dramatic increase in the number of tourists due to Mayor Hagedorn's wonderful campaign to introduce Palawan to the world by his successful endeavor in getting the Underground River recognised as one of the NEW 7 WONDERS of the WORLD.
- Pros:beaches, jungle, waterfalls, nature, cleanliness and low crime rate
- Cons:have to go via Cebu or Manila to visit other parts of the country.
- In a nutshell:COME TO THE LAST FRONTIER---YOU WON'T REGRET IT !!!
yes, i am just testing this new system and it seems to be very complicated. my headline was "DOGS" and i just... more travel advice
D'Gianni's opened up in May 2016 and is the only place in town where you can enjoy a top quality ice cream. The ice... more travel advice
- See All THE HEALING CROSS
- See All KAYAK THRU' MANGROVES ON THE BACUNGAN...
- See All WILD CIVET COFFEE
- See All ART, MUSIC, CINEMA , BEER & SNACKS
- See All POPULAR AT NIGHT, THE BEST IN TOWN
davidjo's Related Pages
Puerto Princesa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PUERTO PRINCESA, CAPITAL of PALAWAN"
- "Love at first sight"
- "d underground dream..."
- "Truly an Amazing Wonder of Nature"
- "Puerto Princesa--The New Seven Wonders of Nature"
- "Palawan... truly a nature lover's paradise!"
- "Welcome to my Puerto Princesa page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Princesa
- Hotels in Puerto Princesa
- Transportation in Puerto Princesa
- Nightlife in Puerto Princesa
- Restaurants in Puerto Princesa
- Shopping in Puerto Princesa
- Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Princesa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Puerto Princesa
- 432 Reviews
- 1,124 Photos
- 37 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (405)
Have you been to Puerto Princesa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Princesa
- Commented on one of davidjo's Puerto Princesa tips
- Posted in Travel Gangtok Forum "Re: Visiting in july- ..."
- Wrote a Review testing about puerto princesa in Puerto Princesa Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "testing"
- updated a Puerto Princesa Travel Page "PUERTO PRINCESA, CAPITAL of PALAWAN"
- davidjo updated an itinerary Fifteen days in Palawan visiting the popular places.
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa Intro, 432 reviews, 1124 photos
- London Intro, 410 reviews, 996 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manila Intro, 209 reviews, 520 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 162 reviews, 516 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 166 reviews, 496 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 158 reviews, 451 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 134 reviews, 450 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 195 reviews, 253 photos
- Melaka Intro, 89 reviews, 276 photos
- Maymyo Intro, 79 reviews, 279 photos