"PUERTO PRINCESA and PALAWAN" Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa by davidjo
Puerto Princesa Travel Guide: 268 reviews and 638 photos
When i visited Palawan as a tourist i realised i had found a special place. The plane flew over the islands off of the north, over El Nido, Port Barton then across the island over Honda Bay before slowly descending to land on the runway which starts at the sea. From your window you will see mountains, jungle and rugged seashore with idyllic beaches. Ex- Mayor Hagedorn has done so much for the city and is well known for his environmental concerns. The airport is only a 5 minute ride to the city centre, i say city but it's more like a town. Back in 1990 Puerto Princesa really was "The Last Frontier" as after you left town the road north was not surfaced, just a track going north through forest for 280 kms until you reached El Nido. To visit the Underground river you had to take a boat from Baheli or Port Barton, and there were only a handful of cars, the town was quiet and the only traffic going up and down Rizal Avenue were tricycles. There was a choice of a handful of guest houses and people from Manila were frightened to come here as it was known as a wild place, a malarial place and far away from the rest of the Philippines. That first time i saw Palawan in 1990 i knew i would return.
I returned in 1995 and opened up a restaurant guest house for backpackers but after the kidnappings in Honda Bay a couple of years later the tourists dwindled so i gave up the business, no point spending my time in an empty building waiting for the occasional visitor when i could be out enjoying myself. so the last years we purchased 10,000 sq. m. built a house and landscaped the area, planting many different types of fruit trees. So now we have our little part of paradise.We often take trips to the beach or ride the motorbike to all points in the island. We usually take a trip to a neighbouring country in S.E. Asia once a year and another domestic trip, but always pleased when i return to the City in the Jungle. we never get tired of the numerous visits to Sabang and trekking the Monkey Trail, or visits to some of the wonderful beaches. I am lucky to be able to settle here.
I am not sure if all the changes are good as i kind of love nature and not a city man, but where there were rough roads there are now surfaced roads. There used to be one flight a day, now there are 9, and in April Air Asia will also start flying here. There was one department store, now there are a few shopping malls open or being constructed. There were only a few cars, with occasional jeepney and tricycles were the normal way to get around town, now there are many buses,multi-cabs, minibuses and 100's of tricycles with traffic congestion. There were 3 gas stations in Puerto Princesa and now there are 25. There were 4 cinemas, now they have gone, we have countless stalls selling fake DVDs. There was one good hotel, now there are quite a few and over 100 places to stay. But now there is a dramatic increase in the number of tourists due to Mayor Hagedorn's wonderful campaign to introduce Palawan to the world by his successful endeavour in getting the Underground River recognised as one of the NEW 7 WONDERS of the WORLD.
- Pros:beaches, jungle, waterfalls, nature, cleanliness and low crime rate
- Cons:have to go via Cebu or Manila to visit other parts of the country.
- In a nutshell:COME TO THE LAST FRONTIER---YOU WON'T REGRET IT !!!
I came across this place while checking the bicycle rentals for another member. I actually drive by the sign several... more travel advice
We were treated to a wonderful display of Latino instrumental music by Dempto with his 3 different guitars at Gypsy Lair... more travel advice
- See All XMAS TREE, GRILLED FISH & XMAS MUSIC by...
- See All IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
- See All HOW ABOUT A TATTOO OR PIERCING???
- See All BEST TRIBAL SOUVENIRS IN TOWN
davidjo's Related Pages
Puerto Princesa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PUERTO PRINCESA and PALAWAN"
- "d underground dream..."
- "Truly an Amazing Wonder of Nature"
- "Palawan... truly a nature lover's paradise!"
- "Puerto Princesa, Palawan Experience"
- "Puerto Princesa capital of Palawan"
- "palawan is a paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Princesa
- Hotels in Puerto Princesa
- Transportation in Puerto Princesa
- Nightlife in Puerto Princesa
- Restaurants in Puerto Princesa
- Shopping in Puerto Princesa
- Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Princesa
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Puerto Princesa
- 190 Reviews
- 330 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to Puerto Princesa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Princesa
Photos in Puerto PrincesaSee All Photos (330)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 345 reviews, 811 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa Intro, 190 reviews, 330 photos
- Manila Intro, 141 reviews, 345 photos
- Hounslow Intro, 39 reviews, 82 photos
- Richmond Intro, 33 reviews, 86 photos
- Angeles City Intro, 27 reviews, 87 photos
- Philippines 55 reviews, 55 photos
- Bandar Seri Begawan Intro, 27 reviews, 69 photos
- Pundaquit Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Barton Intro, 25 reviews, 40 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (53)
Latest Puerto Princesa hotel reviews
- Palawan Village Hotel
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Dolce Vita
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Liberty Park Pension
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2013
- Balay Inato Pension
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 23, 2013
- D' Lucky Garden Inn & Apartelles Palawan
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2013
- A&A Plaza Hotel
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2013
- Skylight Hotel
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Hibiscus Garden Hotel
- 233 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Duchess Pension
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Marina De Bay
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Tropical Sun Inn
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Ysabelle Mansion
- 125 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Dangkalan Beach Resort and Restaurant
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 4, 2013
- Deep Forest Garden Inn
- 158 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Daluyon Beach and Mountain Resort
- 176 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013