"TACHILEK, NOT AS BORING AS SOME PEOPLE SUGGEST" Tachilek by davidjo
Tachilek Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 144 photos
I had read comments on various websites and guidebooks that Tachilek was not worth a visit or a waste of time! Not at all, i found it very interesting but i was prepared to hike around and visit the sites. I guess some people cross the bridge and hang around at the huge market---yes that would be boring. I had crossed the river illegally on the west border with Thailand somewhere south of Mae Sariang and visited local villagers but this was the first time i had actually visited a town there, so don't let all the negative comments put you off, go there and explore.
I found the people a little shy but once you started a conversation with them they were eager to talk with me. Many of the people spoke quite good english and had many questions regarding life in my country. There were many small establishments where a teacher was teaching a handful of pupils, sometimes english so i was always made welcome when i stopped and showed an interest in what they were doing. I think we will see great changes in the attitudes of the people in the next few years as more and more tourists visit their country
I am very glad i visited Tachilek and looking forward to a one month trip to Myanmar next year. I think people were coming out of their shell, i think basically they are warm people and hopefully things will improve for them. I noticed the monks were completely different than Thai monks, in as much as they really devoted themselves to their religion as westernisation had not yet touched them. If Tachilek is "uninteresting" the rest of the country must be outstanding for the traveller. I certainly enjoyed my visit, the people, the food and the sites and can't wait for my return.
- Pros:friendly, genuine people
- Cons:The huge market and can't understand what all these little circles mean !!!!
There is an 18 hole golf course that belongs to the Regina Hotel, but i am not sure how much it costs, but the course... more travel advice
SHWEDAGON PAGODA provides another photographic opportunity for an amusing picture. Just join the line of monks at the... more travel advice
davidjo's Related Pages
Tachilek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TACHILEK, NOT AS BORING AS SOME PEOPLE SUGGEST"
- "Seriously Detained or Shop Stop?"
- "Tachilek, Shan State"
- "City of Golden Triangle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tachilek
- Hotels in Tachilek
- Transportation in Tachilek
- Restaurants in Tachilek
- Shopping in Tachilek
- Warnings and Dangers in Tachilek
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tachilek
- 27 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (375)
Have you been to Tachilek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tachilek
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: How much spending money will..."
- Commented on one of davidjo's Tachilek travel pages
- Wrote a Review ANYONE FOR GOLF ? in Tachilek Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "STAND IN LINE WITH THE MONKS"
- updated a Tachilek Travel Page "TACHILEK, NOT AS BORING AS SOME PEOPLE SUGGEST"
Photos in TachilekSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa Intro, 440 reviews, 1142 photos
- London Intro, 410 reviews, 996 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 162 reviews, 516 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 166 reviews, 496 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 158 reviews, 451 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manila Intro, 181 reviews, 426 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 134 reviews, 450 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Philippines Intro, 194 reviews, 252 photos
- Melaka Intro, 89 reviews, 276 photos
- Maymyo Intro, 79 reviews, 279 photos