"TACHILEK, NOT AS BORING AS SOME PEOPLE SUGGEST" Tachilek by davidjo

Tachilek Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 111 photos

THE TOWN

I had read comments on various websites and guidebooks that Tachilek was not worth a visit or a waste of time! Not at all, i found it very interesting but i was prepared to hike around and visit the sites. I guess some people cross the bridge and hang around at the huge market---yes that would be boring. I had crossed the river illegally on the west border with Thailand somewhere south of Mae Sariang and visited local villagers but this was the first time i had actually visited a town there, so don't let all the negative comments put you off, go there and explore.

THE PEOPLE

I found the people a little shy but once you started a conversation with them they were eager to talk with me. Many of the people spoke quite good english and had many questions regarding life in my country. There were many small establishments where a teacher was teaching a handful of pupils, sometimes english so i was always made welcome when i stopped and showed an interest in what they were doing. I think we will see great changes in the attitudes of the people in the next few years as more and more tourists visit their country

my reflections

I am very glad i visited Tachilek and looking forward to a one month trip to Myanmar next year. I think people were coming out of their shell, i think basically they are warm people and hopefully things will improve for them. I noticed the monks were completely different than Thai monks, in as much as they really devoted themselves to their religion as westernisation had not yet touched them. If Tachilek is "uninteresting" the rest of the country must be outstanding for the traveller. I certainly enjoyed my visit, the people, the food and the sites and can't wait for my return.

• Pros:friendly, genuine people
  • Cons:The huge market and can't understand what all these little circles mean !!!!
  • Last visit to Tachilek: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Mar 5, 2012

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2014 at 6:29 AM

A nice little page - there's usually something interesting to be seen even in places considered boring, as you have managed to demonstrate! Hope to go to Myanmar later this year.

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I wanna go to Myanmar. It looks AMAZING! I found a really good trip, for 2 weeks, but it's a bit pricey.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Interesting page. I have been to Mai Sai but did not cross the border there. Looks like I missed out on quite an interesting place, Irene

• davidjo's Profile Photo
      Jul 19, 2013 at 4:48 AM

You certainly did miss out! We found it extremely interesting. Sorry for late reply as we have just been away for a week and returned today---Never take my laptop or use internet when we take a trip!!! Thanks for your ratings!

davidjo

“You only live once, see the world and enjoy yourself.”

Badges & Stats in Tachilek

Have you been to Tachilek?

Latest Activity in Tachilek