"TACHILEK, NOT AS BORING AS SOME PEOPLE SUGGEST" Tachilek by davidjo
Tachilek Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 111 photos
I had read comments on various websites and guidebooks that Tachilek was not worth a visit or a waste of time! Not at all, i found it very interesting but i was prepared to hike around and visit the sites. I guess some people cross the bridge and hang around at the huge market---yes that would be boring. I had crossed the river illegally on the west border with Thailand somewhere south of Mae Sariang and visited local villagers but this was the first time i had actually visited a town there, so don't let all the negative comments put you off, go there and explore.
I found the people a little shy but once you started a conversation with them they were eager to talk with me. Many of the people spoke quite good english and had many questions regarding life in my country. There were many small establishments where a teacher was teaching a handful of pupils, sometimes english so i was always made welcome when i stopped and showed an interest in what they were doing. I think we will see great changes in the attitudes of the people in the next few years as more and more tourists visit their country
I am very glad i visited Tachilek and looking forward to a one month trip to Myanmar next year. I think people were coming out of their shell, i think basically they are warm people and hopefully things will improve for them. I noticed the monks were completely different than Thai monks, in as much as they really devoted themselves to their religion as westernisation had not yet touched them. If Tachilek is "uninteresting" the rest of the country must be outstanding for the traveller. I certainly enjoyed my visit, the people, the food and the sites and can't wait for my return.
- Pros:friendly, genuine people
- Cons:The huge market and can't understand what all these little circles mean !!!!
Who is Mr. Aung Myint Myat? Well you can find him if you turn right at the major intersection after coming across the... more travel advice
If you leave the local market on the northern side, turn right on the road, a few mteres later you will pass over a... more travel advice
davidjo's Related Pages
Tachilek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seriously Detained or Shop Stop?"
- "Tachilek, Shan State"
- "TACHILEK, NOT AS BORING AS SOME PEOPLE SUGGEST"
- "City of Golden Triangle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tachilek
- Hotels in Tachilek
- Transportation in Tachilek
- Restaurants in Tachilek
- Shopping in Tachilek
- Warnings and Dangers in Tachilek
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tachilek
- 10 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (178)
Have you been to Tachilek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tachilek
- Posted in Travel Phuket Forum "Re: Transfer to Phi Phi from..."
- Commented on one of davidjo's Tachilek travel pages
- updated a Tachilek Travel Page "TACHILEK, NOT AS BORING AS SOME PEOPLE SUGGEST"
- Uploaded a Photo to "TACHILEK, NOT AS BORING AS SOME PEOPLE SUGGEST"
- Wrote a Review MR. AUNG MYINT MYAT in Tachilek Things to Do
Photos in TachilekSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 345 reviews, 811 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Princesa Intro, 190 reviews, 330 photos
- Manila Intro, 141 reviews, 345 photos
- Hounslow Intro, 39 reviews, 82 photos
- Richmond Intro, 33 reviews, 86 photos
- Angeles City Intro, 27 reviews, 87 photos
- Philippines 55 reviews, 55 photos
- Bandar Seri Begawan Intro, 27 reviews, 69 photos
- Pundaquit Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Barton Intro, 25 reviews, 40 photos