"Mmmm ...... wine!" Coonawarra by alisonr
Coonawarra Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 18 photos
Coonawarra is famous for wines. It is a predominent and very large grape growing area in Australia. Famous for full bodied reds and rich terra rossa soil.
The 'Coonawarra Cigar' as it is known, is a single 20 kilometre strip of the famous limestone-based soil, where the 25 cellar doors can all be found along one straight stretch of the Riddoch Highway. How convenient??!
Located 60 kilometres inland, Coonawarra's climate is predominately maritime, with cold and wet winters, warm summers and a long ripening season. Although Shiraz was virtually the only wine grape grown in Coonawarra from 1900 to 1950, the true champion of the region is undoubtedly Cabernet Sauvignon. Today about 50 per cent of all vines are Cabernet Sauvignon and 21 per cent Shiraz, with other varieties including Riesling, Chardonnay, Merlot and Pinot Noir.
Now that the technical is out of the way, this would have to be one of my most fave things to do in the whole world. Jump in the car, drive only an hour or so up the road, have your pick of so many fabulous places to have a wonderful lunch, buy a few bottles, get back in the car, buy another few bottles up the road, then head back into Penola, spend up at the lollie shop, have a look in the gift shop at Koonara, then head home. What a fabulous day. Made even more special if you aren't driving!
- Pros:Beautiful region, delicious wines, superb restaurants
- Cons:Someone always has to drive :(
- In a nutshell:I said it before "mmmmm........ wine!"
This is a converted winery shed that has been given a new lease on life. Inside the old Mildara/Jamiesons Run winery you... more travel advice
You are pretty limited in what you can do in Coonawarra -- eat and drink. Sip wines at the cellar doors, eat at... more travel advice
alisonr's Related Pages
Coonawarra Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Coonawarra
- Transportation in Coonawarra
- Restaurants in Coonawarra
- Warnings and Dangers in Coonawarra
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Coonawarra
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Coonawarra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coonawarra
Photos in CoonawarraSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 53 reviews, 160 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 46 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 27 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos
- Phuket Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos
- Penang Intro, 15 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos