"Welcome to my home!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier by alisonr
Mount Gambier Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 335 photos
Mt Gambier - my home town, which is 500 kms from Adelaide, the capital of South Australia, and 500kms from Melbourne, the capital of Victoria. It is home to about 30,000 people. We are most famous for the Blue Lake, the lake at the top of this pic. The bottom one is the Valley Lake, and is a normal green colour. The blue one changes colour each year in November from a grayey blue to a vibrant bright blue. This is due to the limestone base of the lake and all sorts of magic things going on. By the way, this also is the town's drinking water! And it only takes about an hour to walk all the way around the rim!!
Mt Gambier is the largest town in the region known as the South East of South Australia (now renamed and known as The Limestone Coast). The area is rich in primary production, particularly grape growing, timber, cereal crops and vegetables. Lobster fleets are prevalent throughout the south east ports. Tourist attractions include extinct volcanoes and limestone caves, as well as miles of beautiful coastline.
We are basically a tourist area for nature lovers and sightseers. Closely situated and central to the beach, the Glenelg River, the Coonawarra grape growing area, not far from the Great Ocean Road, lots of stuff going on around us!!
See my traveloge for pictures of Mt Gambier and surrounds.
I am gradually rebuilding and adding to this page as I take more pics. So come back from time to time, and if you want to know anything about the area, ask me I am the Mt Gambeir expert here on VT.
- Pros:Large country town, modern yet still quiet and laid back.
- Cons:It is often very cold and rainy! A long way from everywhere!
- In a nutshell:Nice place to raise children.
Nelson, Victoria. About 20 mins away in the car. A wonderful little river/beachside village. Fantastic for fishing,... more travel advice
Each October we have 'the show' a regional agricultural and country show. We have rides that are scary and come from the... more travel advice
alisonr's Related Pages
Mount Gambier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HOME OF THE BLUE LAKE"
- "Welcome to my home!!"
- "MT GAMBIER"
- "Mount Gambier"
- "Gateway to South Australia"
- "Picanniny Ponds Snorkelling"
- "Mount Gambier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Gambier
- Hotels in Mount Gambier
- Transportation in Mount Gambier
- Nightlife in Mount Gambier
- Restaurants in Mount Gambier
- Shopping in Mount Gambier
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Gambier
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mount Gambier
- 46 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Mount Gambier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Gambier
- Posted in Travel Forum "Flight paths"
- Wrote a Review Since VT don't have a page for this one.. in Mount Gambier Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Since VT don't have a page for this one.."
- updated a Mount Gambier Travelogue "Seascapes and Coastline"
- Commented on one of Kate-Me's Mount Gambier travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 53 reviews, 160 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 46 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 27 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos
- Phuket Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos
- Penang Intro, 15 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos