"Welcome to my home!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier by alisonr

Mount Gambier Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 335 photos

Welcome to my home town

Mt Gambier - my home town, which is 500 kms from Adelaide, the capital of South Australia, and 500kms from Melbourne, the capital of Victoria. It is home to about 30,000 people. We are most famous for the Blue Lake, the lake at the top of this pic. The bottom one is the Valley Lake, and is a normal green colour. The blue one changes colour each year in November from a grayey blue to a vibrant bright blue. This is due to the limestone base of the lake and all sorts of magic things going on. By the way, this also is the town's drinking water! And it only takes about an hour to walk all the way around the rim!!

Mt Gambier is the largest town in the region known as the South East of South Australia (now renamed and known as The Limestone Coast). The area is rich in primary production, particularly grape growing, timber, cereal crops and vegetables. Lobster fleets are prevalent throughout the south east ports. Tourist attractions include extinct volcanoes and limestone caves, as well as miles of beautiful coastline.

We are basically a tourist area for nature lovers and sightseers. Closely situated and central to the beach, the Glenelg River, the Coonawarra grape growing area, not far from the Great Ocean Road, lots of stuff going on around us!!

See my traveloge for pictures of Mt Gambier and surrounds.

I am gradually rebuilding and adding to this page as I take more pics. So come back from time to time, and if you want to know anything about the area, ask me I am the Mt Gambeir expert here on VT.

• Pros:Large country town, modern yet still quiet and laid back.
  • Cons:It is often very cold and rainy! A long way from everywhere!
  • In a nutshell:Nice place to raise children.
  • Last visit to Mount Gambier: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 24, 2005

• Aug 27, 2008 at 10:39 PM

place was fantastic, steak was cooked better then anywhere i have ever had before and the waitress was fantastic, she new what wine was good with what and none of her suggestion can be faulted, and friendly. one of the best places i have been to in ages.

• Tattugran's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 10:24 PM

thanks for sharing Mt Gambier with us. We will be down there in 8 weeks and after looking at your pages we are even more keen to get there. It appears to have so much to see and do there

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2005 at 8:36 PM

The Funk Lounge sounds like a good place to hang out! great tips!

• JennJenn's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2005 at 8:46 AM

I will have to revisit this site soon. I'm trying to decide where to live on my working holiday on Australia that I'm planning. THanks for your site!

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2004 at 5:27 PM

My skin is still crawling from the spider picture but aside from that Al your tips on your hometown are very good. Looks like a nice place in Australia to grow up, Cheers from Canada :-)

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2003 at 11:04 PM

Found them!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2003 at 11:02 PM

Hope you get your tips back, I plan to go there around Christmas and any info would be good.

• crazyguitar's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2002 at 2:07 AM

It seem a peaceful place. Nice travelogues!!

• Prosperity's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2002 at 8:23 PM

Hi Al! All the best for you and Ben with your new project!

• Oct 1, 2002 at 8:51 AM

Hi Alison, very good and great page ! I'll come from Germany to South Australia in the week from October 12 to October 19 ; at this time I'd like to visit Mount Gambier. Do you have some tip for me ? Thanks !
    Regards,
    Francis

alisonr Lives Here!

alisonr

“You can't appreciate the rainbow with out the rain!”

Badges & Stats in Mount Gambier

Have you been to Mount Gambier?