"Portland is great" Portland by alisonr
Portland Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 36 photos
Portland is a major shipping port in Victoria's south. It is about 100kms from Mt Gambier so we go there every now and then. Great fishing spot. It is a quiet town with not too many people, nice B&B's and cafes. Great views. It also happens to be the place where I bought my new car recently.
From June each year for a couple of months the Southern Wright Whales and Humpback Whales cruise past Portland on their way to the warmer waters. They hang around for a while and play in the ocean and some have their babies. Portland and nearby Cape Nelson and Cape Bridgewater offer some great rugged coastline to spot whales. Call the Visitor Information Centre on 0355232671 for a daily update.
- Pros:Quiet spot to laze about, fishing, swimming, walking etc
- Cons:If you don't like the beach or small towns you wont like this place
If you are into big ships you will love this! They ship everything for wood chip to live sheep (isn't that a contentious... more travel advice
alisonr's Related Pages
Portland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portland is great"
- "Portland Vic"
- "Portland, South Western Victoria"
- "beautiful Australia"
- "Portland, early Victorian history, plus -"
- "Portland - Victoria's Real Secret"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Portland
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Portland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portland
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 53 reviews, 160 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 46 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 27 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos
- Phuket Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos
- Penang Intro, 15 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos